Suggestions for racking?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnjazz

Reaction score
Looking for a rack to House my SYN-2 and SYN 5050. Looking for the lowest profile and cleanest fit, and it’s proving to be pretty difficult with the depth of the 5050.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Well, I took a chance today and ordered a Gator GR-2S.

I think this will work and provide adequate ventilation to the SYN-2 and the 5050. Only real concern I have is the MIDI connection is directly above the top vent for the power tubes.

I will report back with results if anyone is interested.

I have both units in a SKB 4 space rack along with an FX unit.
I've always thought the rack power amps need at least 1 free slot above them for ventilation.
The high speed fan of the SYN5050 turns on quite a bit so it's obvious that the unit gets hot.

I thought briefly about a 4 space rack but I just don't have the space to manage it. The Gator rack has about an inch of space above the top to provide some ventilation for the SYN-2 and the SYN-2 just barely reaches the ventilation slots on the 5050 (it covers maybe the first 1/8" of the slots, where the bases of the power tubes sit).

If I run into problems I may bump up to a 3 space but I'm trying to make this setup as compact as possible. I could always install a fan in the case as well if I really needed to.

That does look nice. I'm going to try the Gator for now but I think I'm going to ask my amp guy to build me a custom head shell as well. The depth of the 5050 makes it tough to find something off the shelf because I don't want something hanging off the back of the cab it's going to sit on...