HBE vs BE

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faisalbaig303

Reaction score
Hi guys,
curious about the difference between the BE and HBE. I know HBE is higher gain, but are they voiced different ?

Ive been watching Friedman Pink Taco videos and loving them even though i am a high gain player. The PT has this open growl which is just vicious.

How compressed are the Friedman designed Synergy modules and which one would get me the closest open high gain of the Pink Taco. That would be my crunchier module. For high gain, the HBE is my choice and later the SLO and Eng designs perhaps.

Also, how do the modules based on EL34 amps translate with the Syn 5050 6L6 power amp ?

Cheers guys

Oh!
For those who own Friedman heads, how do the modules compare ?
I read the HBE mode of the BE-100 has more gain available than the HBE module.
Just curious!

Regards
Faisal

I can only go by clips but the HBE module sounds overly compressed and not the gain/hair monster of the amp. It seems to be the highest resold module as well. Waiting to hear the Engl but so far all the modules seem to be lower gain than their name sake except maybe the SLO

Bought the BE and HBE...love the BE but vastly prefer the SLO to the HBE.

I haven't tried overt gain or EQ settings with the HBE yet...too enamored of the SLO.

I would imagine the DS would be in Pink Taco territory but I don't know.

Yes i also read that most modules have lower gain than the actual amps; perhaps to reduce noise. But thats not fun!!

faisalbaig303 said:
Yes i also read that most modules have lower gain than the actual amps; perhaps to reduce noise. But thats not fun!!

There is no way the SLO has less gain than the amp, in fact it may be style after the pre-amps (X99???) and possibly has more...would have to check with Friedman or Mike S himself.

Both the Synergy BE and HBE lacks a 'bright' switch which was a mainstay feature of MTS/Egnater stuff, where you could always lower the gain a bit and kick in the Bright for the bite / aggression..I'm wondering if that's a big difference?

I got to try the HBE, not the BE but for me I just couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Like so many others, I enjoy the SLO a lot. The BE probably has a better sound and could be pushed with a pedal/drive if needed. Order both from Sweetwater and send back what you don't like.