Syn 5050 Heat Vents

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faisalbaig303

Reaction score
Another question guys...
With the Syn 5050 would it be necessary to keep at least one rack space empty due heat ? Probably does get hot....

Thanks

I have my SYN-2 and 50/50 in a 2 space rack at the moment, but I am about to split them into separate racks. Mostly for intercompatibility with other gear though. It doesn't get overly hot, but the placement of a few of the jacks (particularly the midi switching) makes me nervous as it's directly over the vents and there is definitely some heat there.

If you can afford to give up the space an extra slot between them is a good idea, but unless you are running them 24/7 I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Thanks tnjazz,
i appreciate your reply!

I do prefer a compact rack. I am assuming the Syn5050 is below the Syn 2; can u swap them or would that totally cover the vents ?

Cheers

Yes, the SYN-2 is sitting on top of the 50/50.

I would not swap them because the vents of the SYN-2 are in the front of the unit and under the 50/50 they would be totally covered. The preamp does not generate anywhere near as much heat as the power amp but having those completely covered seems like a bad idea.

The SYN-2 just barely covers the first 1/8 inch or so of the vents at the back of the 50/50. An insignificant amount in my opinion.

I have a syn-2 and a fryette power station (which gets pretty hot)...and i was afraid to keep them on top of each other...would be nice though. It's a cheaper compact head like rack setup.

i-v2R7rst-S.jpg

Thanks for the reply Chris!
That rack head is beautiful and exactly the solution i was planning as well.
Is that a Stagecraft or Mission rack ?

No. It was under $90 from eBay but don’t recommend it. Looks ok but smelled like a latex factory and the acre heads are crazy rough/sharp. Smell is wearing off, but I’m sure I doesn’t have as nice of a finish as the Missin which was what I wanted originally. Has an overall nice look I liked it compares to large bulky traditional racks for the non touring guy.