Where to put a boost?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
The only issue I have in using modular stuff is how soft the clean stuff is vs. the high gain stuff. I love the sound of my JF Twin and AC30. However, I am also using the Dumble OD, Synergy HBE or XTC. The higher gain mods sound best when I have their volumes up around 2:00. The clean mods sound best (really clean) with the volumes dimed and the gain down. I can get the clean mods at a playable volume but then it is overkill on the gainy-er mods. as I am using a digitech GSP1101 FX preamp (4CM) I was wondering if anyone has added the boost after the preamp stage so as not to overdrive the preamp tubes. Does that make sense? That way i might be able to boost just the nice clean tone without overdriving it.
thanks
rick

If you cannot find the correct balance using the module and the output volume on the preamp, you can put a Volume pedal or an EQ in the loop to boost the volume.

I've run a volume pedal in the loop with a preset minimum volume, so that each channel could be boosted for solos. You could try the same approach with an EQ or boost in the loop when programming patches on your GSP to make up for differences in preamp volumes. Or you could try a compressor in front of your clean modules

Not everything likes to get hit with a boost! And the ear balls tell you so...with that said you need to play with a few different peddles in the FRONT of your amp. See what works! A TS 808 is a great place to start. Got to GC with your amp and demo demo and more demo! Then when you find what your looking for hit GC dot com for a sweet deal on a used one! 45 day returns still too! Can't go wrong...

a great boost, I've found, in front of the amp, first dirt pedal in the chain is a simple Boss Blues Driver. mine is Keeley modded but it shouldn't matter.

Gain at zero, tone wherever it needs to be to play with a particular mod and volume where you like it.

Great pushed sounds or clean enhancements simple, cheap pedal

I use my fractal with my synergy for the effects only. I run drive pedals in the front