RM50 Mod for Synergy 2 channel Modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panthersn

Reaction score
Love my RM50 and would love to access both channels of the Synergy modules. I know there is a Midi mod for the RM4, any ideas of accessing the second module channels? I'm trying to avoid the purchase of a SYN 2

Panthersn said:
Love my RM50 and would love to access both channels of the Synergy modules. I know there is a Midi mod for the RM4, any ideas of accessing the second module channels? I'm trying to avoid the purchase of a SYN 2

You coould see if you could find an Egnater MOD50 - like a RM50 but with Midi - the drawback is you can only use Synergy modules on the right hand module bay as the Synergy modules are deeper.

If you can mod the backplane of the RM100 to switch channels then am honestly not sure why it cannot be done on the RM50...you won't have MIDI but I'm sure some enterprising soul could get up a DPST switch to assert (provide voltage) to the pin/select for the second channel of the module?

Rob?

MarcoR said:
I'm kind of surprised more people haven't taken on this type of mod. Once you got a latching footswitch to work, you could take it to the next level with an external midi function switch and have full midi control like with any other non-midi amp.

This dude modded his..
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=20898

Thanks for finding that again Marco...I couldn't remember which pins they were....

It could be done even simpler than this if all you wanted was a switch on the front of the amp to select A or B....but this dudes solution is gig worthy.

Just curious - aren't the RM50 and Mod50 virtually identical under the hood as far as the circuit goes? If so, couldn't you mod an RM50 to house a MIDI switching system then?

The difference in the RM100/MOD50/MOD100/M4/RM4 and the RM50 is the lack of MIDI implementation. While it's theoretically possible to modify the RM50 for dual module channel switching, it's not simple. It would require a lot of R&D time, some type of 3rd party micro controller or programmed IC and not be cheap. For what you gain, the cost would make it a moot endeavor.

The dual channel modules aren't truly dual channels at all. They simply use relays to provide two different gain and volume settings. They share the same signal path for both channels. For what a used MOD 50 goes for these days it's a far more economical decision that trying to upgrade an RM50. Not everything that's possible is feasible.

Thanks Rob!

I guess I assumed that since the designs were so similar in the other products that maybe that functionality was still a part of the RM50's general build, just not wired in somehow. Just seemed odd to me that all the other Randalls and Egnaters seemed almost exactly the same under the hood and this one doesn't match up with its counterpart, which does have the MIDI channel switching.

My pleasure. Your line of thought is quite logical. I wish it was true and that simple myself. The RM50 is my favorite amp int he line and I'd be happily upgrading them if it was easy and cost-effective. I grabbed a MOD50 personally and it was far easier.