NMD: Sacred Groove Breakneck

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
Sacred Groove has a very good, and well-deserved reputation for his mods. His last line, via Motor City Mods, were simple and to the point. There were very impressive mods of Marshall 2203/2204, Bogner Ecstasy, a 5150/Recto custom, and Bogner Ubershall preamps.

The original version of the Breakneck was the Afterlife, which for many years was the holy grail of the custom MTS modules (at one point they were going for $500 USD on the used market).

Prior to this I have played an Uberschall Twin Jet, and it was very cool, though not entirely my sound. I knew when buying the Breakneck that although I am primarily a modern high gain player, it might not be suited for my tonal taste. Another to keep in mind is that, like Diezel amps, the power section of the Bogner Uberschall is very much a part of that sound, and a preamp replica can only do so much.

The Breakneck is, like most SG mods, a very to the point module. It reminds me to that line from ‘They Live’…”I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ***, and I’m all out of bubblegum”.

That’s the Breakneck through and through, it does one thing and that is Uberschall thick high gain brutality. It’s an acquired taste, much like a Fryette Pittbull or Mesa Mark. Tonally they’re not alike, but you’re either into it or you’re not. As I said before, I kind of knew going into it that I’m not, but it’s one of those things I had to experience for myself to understand.

You won’t need a boost with this guy, and the gain past noon is useable, but even for a 7 string EMG player like me, it’s VERY heavy. The bright switch is a must, but the shift switch wasn’t for me. That thick and that heavy needs to cut through the mix, and with the shift up, it’ll have no problem. The only thing I’d add is a noise gate, as this is one noisy puppy!

I can’t say this module isn’t unique, much like the amp it’s based on. It ain’t for me personally, but I can totally see why both the amp and this modder have their stellar reputation, they're well deserved!

2qtct2f.jpg