Anyone using their Axe-Fx 2 as a cabsim?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamaaron

Reaction score
hi there guys , i just purchased a SYN-2 with Morgan AC & HBE. They both sounds gooodddd but,
just curious am i connecting the right way with my SYN-2 to my AXE-FX.

My current setup is -
Guitar > SYN-2 Input
SYN-2 Main out L&R >
AXE FX II rear inputs L&R (for using the cab sim & FX only) >
AXE FX II XLRs out >
interface

is it right or not? because it sounds "muddy"/"overcompressed" when im playing my 8 string .
:? :? :?

Are you looking for post fx only? as in delay, verb and some modulation and of course a cab sim. If so, it sounds correct to me.

adamaaron said:
hi there guys , i just purchased a SYN-2 with Morgan AC & HBE. They both sounds gooodddd but,
just curious am i connecting the right way with my SYN-2 to my AXE-FX.

My current setup is -
Guitar > SYN-2 Input
SYN-2 Main out L&R >
AXE FX II rear inputs L&R (for using the cab sim & FX only) >
AXE FX II XLRs out >
interface

is it right or not? because it sounds "muddy"/"overcompressed" when im playing my 8 string .

You're missing a poweramp after the syn-2. The Axe FX II itself cannot provide pure poweramp simulations (you can use their amp models as pure preamps with sag set to zero, but there's no way to turn off the preamp simulation).

You could use poweramp and cab simulations inside your DAW by going directly into a hi-z input on your audio interface.

Couldn't you Just take Ax II amp mod out of the signal chain using layout and edit?

dinmonster said:
Couldn't you Just take Ax II amp mod out of the signal chain using layout and edit?

What do you mean with take out the amp mod? Do you mean to take the amp block out of the signal chain? Sure, you can do that. You can add or subtract any block inside the axe fx. The only problem being the lack of a power amp sim.

Right now, he's only using the preamp into the cab block of the axe fx ii and, while this might be a halfway reasonable option for clean tones, it's certainly not satisfying when it comes to overdriven and distorted tones.

There is, however, a possibilty I forgot to mention. A German IR shop (cabir.eu) provides IRs that are made using various tube poweramps instead of the usual highly linear solid state power amps that are used for the majority of IRs. I'm not sure if every cab pack features tube power amp IRs, your best bet is to contact the owner via mail. I think Ownhammer also sold some IRs shot with tube power amps, but that was a while ago.

That way, you could load such a poweramp IR into the cab block and be done with it. No need for an amp block that way.

I also read, that the generic tube pre model inside the amp block can be used as a reasonable substitute for isolated poweramp simualtions. That model has a vintage tonestack (it's linear and does not have an impact on the tone if all the dials are left at defautl) and an ideal tetrode in the poweramp tube menu. There you could change it to a 6L6 or an EL34 to simulate different poweramps.

Yep just as I said...get the amp out of the chain.
I'm never satisfied with cab sims or direct recording anyway! And the good old feeling of finding the sweet spot in mic and placement adds to the experience. Robots pushing buttons for a 10-20 min time saving...or cross fades punches for lazy people who didn't practice their part. Hack and gag...lol....

You can use "tube preamp" model in the Axe and just leave all the preamp controls at default. This is a neutral preamp-tonally and gain wise, along with a power amp sim that you can tweak to your hearts desire-change tubes, sag, negative feedback, etc.
It works great with the modular system.

You can use "tube preamp" model in the Axe and just leave all the preamp controls at default. This is a neutral preamp-tonally and gain wise, along with a power amp sim that you can tweak to your hearts desire-change tubes, sag, negative feedback, etc.
It works great with the modular system.

BINGO! That was it. I was almost considering getting rid of the Synergy system, or adding on a post EQ section to fix the messed up voicing (that was much worse than the Axe FX by itself). Brilliant!

adamaaron said:

1. There's a Hi/Lo Gain switch next to the Main L XLR Out (as well as the FX Send). Where is it set? It sounds like it's set to Hi Gain, so try setting it to Lo Gain. If so, it's a Gain Structure issue, which is why it sounds overcompressed and dark.

2. The XLR Main Out was not designed to feed external effects units. Instead, use the FX Send, which bypasses two stages, including the Cab Sim stage. If you're sending the output to your DAW, use the FX Send for best results.

3. If you're feeding a DAW or even a live mixer, a "power amp simulator" is completely unnecessary. While it may make it sound "fuller" when you're sitting around playing, that small low end bump will be dialed out in a mix.

And finally, if you are using this setup to feed a DAW, there are far better and more diverse options than the cabinet simulator in the AXE FX. Excellent and inexpensive IR's are available from Celestion, Ownhammer and so many more, which will give you far more options to mix and match speakers, microphones and cabinets, which should in turn provide far better results.

Good luck!