RM 1250 + duals midi switching

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max44

Reaction score
Hello MTS users,

I just got (lucky to get) a Randall RM 1250,
On top of that I use my 12 dual modules in it, so it is a perfect world !
The original footswitch works fine but has only 3 buttons, so each button switches 8 channels : 1-8 / 9-16 / 17- 24 (not useable live ...)

I have a G Lab GSC2 midi footswitch that I try to configure with the RM1250 and the duals, without success yet : if anyone can help that would be great

Thanks, Max

The MIDI on the 1250 is not workable like standard MIDI. I don't know if it's simply reduced to using a three button switch or what but I tried lots of MIDI stuff with no success with 1250....

Great score though!

I don't think it's actually MIDI, it may use a MIDI cable...but all I could ever get mine to do was cycle through channels like you're describing.

Thanks guys,
I guess it was designed only for studio work then ...
I can live with it, just have to be super fast with my feet to change channels if I wish to use it live !
Matt fig :Yeah it is quite a beast and I would add : if amps were engines this would be The V12 of all amps
Jayda : I still have your fog lifted RT2/50 and it still sounds awesome
Max

max44 said:
Jayda : I still have your fog lifted RT2/50 and it still sounds awesome

That was a GREAT amp, so much so that every time I see one for sale I want to buy another one and have it modded. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Jayda : Yes it is a great amp ... even in stock form since it has Heyboers transformers (as explained by Rob from Jaded Faith)
The Foglift + NFB pot add even more articulation !

On the other hand the RM1250 has chinese transformers (made in Taiwan actually) and I can clearly tell the sound is different and feels less powerful ...
I'm actually talking with Rob to improve the RM1250 in a simple way : Foglift and things like that, as changing the transformers on this beast would be too much of a hassle (Rob has done it in the past but it was a pain of a job apparently)

Back to topic : I have talked to Galao (who provides the dual channel modification midi kit) and he told me the RM1250 has midi connections, but is not programmable and only reacts to CC# (Continuous Control messages) so it means it can be controlled, but only with a programmable Midi footswitch (i.e. Roland FC 300, Behringer FC1010 for instance)
I have asked GLab to help me out with this, expecting their answer and will let you know
Max

If you do have any success with cracking the midi code on the 1250, please report it here.

As for mods, just sending Rob the board and having a normal foglifter mod will be the biggest bang for your buck when shipping is considered. I think the stock presence board on a 1250 is one of the biggest reasons they don’t sound as good.

Problem solved :

Thanks to Galao who pushed me going through my GLab Gsc2 manual - concerning the CC# setup - I finally manage to set it up with the RM1250

So for those who care : your midi pedalboard / footswitch has to be programmable (able to send CC messages), and has to send messages on midi 1 channel only (RM1250 is setup on midi 1 channel)

For single modules the RM1250 will recognize the following CC# :
(as listed in the RM1250 manual)
- module 1 : CC# 1
- module 2 : CC# 6
- module 3 : CC# 7
- module 4 : CC# 8
- module 5 : CC# 9
- module 6 : CC# 14
- module 7 : CC# 15
- module 8 : CC# 16
- module 9 : CC# 17
- module 10 : CC# 22
- module 11 : CC# 23
- module 12 : CC# 24

For dual modules the RM1250 will recognize the following CC# :

- module 1 channel A : CC# 5
- module 1 channel B : CC# 1
- module 2 channel A : CC# 6
- module 2 channel B : CC# 2
- module 3 channel A : CC# 7
- module 3 channel B : CC# 3
- module 4 channel A : CC# 8
- module 4 channel B : CC# 4
- module 5 channel A : CC# 13
- module 5 channel B : CC# 9
- module 6 channel A : CC# 14
- module 6 channel B : CC# 10
- module 7 channel A : CC# 15
- module 7 channel B : CC# 11
- module 8 channel A : CC# 16
- module 8 channel B : CC# 12
- module 9 channel A : CC# 21
- module 9 channel B : CC# 17
- module 10 channel A : CC# 22
- module 10 channel B : CC# 18
- module 11 channel A : CC# 23
- module 11 channel B : CC# 19
- module 12 channel A : CC# 24
- module 12 channel B : CC# 20

Strangely enough single modules' CC# don't always correspond with channel A's dual modules' CC# ... So I guess if one changes from single to duals, one will recall channel A's dual modules for the same preset only in slots 2 - 3 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 10 - 11 - 12
(and channel B's dual modules for the same preset in slots 1 - 5 - 9)

Weird ! and I hope I made myself understandable ...

(I only own dual modules, no singles, so I could not compare : this is only a guess ...)

Have fun !
Max

Max, you say amazing things !!!

I did not know if the 1250 can accept dual modules (a / b channels).

Did you make mods on this amplifier or not?

Thank you!

Max

The 1250 can accept duals without any modification, somehow it came from the factory that way.

Max44, many thanks for that cc# info. I’ve been pondering what to do since I got the synergy duals running in mine. Sounds like I just need to get a behringer or Roland midi foot controller now.

Hey Maxx !

The RM1250 accepts dual channel modules in stock form,
It was actually the only MTS product in the Randall line to do so I guess ...

Cheers, Max

Warmachine67 : You're welcome !

I only own dual modules, that's why I bought this RM1250 cause I knew it would play and switch both channels ... the only issue was that midi setting : now we know this beast can be controlled conveniently (i.e live !) with an adequate midi footswitch and this is great news

Quote : " As for mods, just sending Rob the board and having a normal foglifter mod will be the biggest bang for your buck when shipping is considered. I think the stock presence board on a 1250 is one of the biggest reasons they don’t sound as good "

I will definitely think about this ... thanks
Max

Not trying to hijack the topic, but since midi Jedi masters are participating:), any idea if a Rocktron Midimate could be used with the 1250 for dual CC access?

I just don’t have enough midi knowledge to read the manual online and know if it will work. The midimate is cheaper than the Roland and has a smaller size without the two cc pedals, that’s why I’m wondering.

As a MIDI-Jedi I can confirm that the Midimate is also fine for this purpose. It can send programmable CC-messages and can be phantom powered over a seven-pin-MIDI-cable, which is a plus. I just don´t like to read manuals for other people to give them step-by-step-instructions except they have questions about my products. :D

Many thanks galao, I don’t mind diving in and figuring it out, just wanted to make sure it’s the right rabbit hole.

warmachine67 said:
The 1250 can accept duals without any modification, somehow it came from the factory that way.

Max44, many thanks for that cc# info. I’ve been pondering what to do since I got the synergy duals running in mine. Sounds like I just need to get a behringer or Roland midi foot controller now.

Holy Guacamole! I have a 1250 and plenty of Dual modules. Never even thought to try them in the 1250. Thanks for that intel.

Trying to get MIDI switching working properly on this thing is giving me fits!

More likely I just don't understand how to configure it, being a MIDI novice and all that. PC messages were easy and flawless with my other amps. This CC thing has really got me puzzled though.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe my controller isn't capable of properly switching, even though it says it's capable of sending CC messages. It works, but it's erratic at best.

I'm curious how many people here have 1250's and what controller you're using for MIDI switching?

warmachine67 said:
I’m no help Dirk, but when and where did you find a 1250?

You are truly into the rabbit hole now :)

Rob hooked me up last week. Not entirely sure this monstrosity is for me though. I'm still exploring whether or not it will do what I need. If I can get the switching figured out I think it will make a great studio amp. Otherwise maybe I'll just stick with the other MTS stuff I have and let someone else have a go...

I could get by with the manual cycling through for what my intended use is, but I'd much rather have it foot switchable. My Fractal doesn't seem to want to operate it correctly though so I'm wondering if it's a problem with the way it's sending CCs. Might pick up another controller and see if that fixes my issues.

When I go, I go all out LOL

Has anyone here besides Max gotten MIDI switching working properly on the RM1250?

I'm about ready to pay someone to help me get this thing working...so far the Fractal forum has not been very helpful.