Connecting the SYN-2 preamp to an ENGL SE E670

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBubba

Reaction score
I just got a new ENGL SE E670 amp and this amp features a lot of interesting options.

One of them is the tube driver circuit, which acts as a preamp defeat, i.e. it connects the input of the amp directly to the power amp.

The standard method is:

Guitar -> Input SYN-2

"To Amp In" / SYN-2 -> Guitar Input / AMP

"From Amp FX Send" / SYN-2 -> FX Loop Send / AMP

"To Amp FX return" / SYN-2 -> FX Loop Return / AMP

Surely, this method will work with the ENGL, but that way I can't use the amp's own preamp channels

Since I only want to use the SYN-2 with the preamp defeat engaged, is there a connection method that allows me to use the Synergy preamp channels without relinquishing the amp's own preamp channels?

That connections allows you to use the Amp's own preamp channels when the SYN2 is on bypass, this is the whole purpose of this setup.
I don't know the ENGL head but I would guess you wouldn't need t engage the preamp defeat, you'd only need to engage the FX loop (if it's switchable).

Furthermore, I've used all outputs of the SYN2 (main outs, FX send, to am FX return) and they all will let you use the Amp's own preamp channels when the SYN2 is on bypass, the only difference I found is that the master volume of the unit will only work if you use the main outs or the FX send.
If you use the standard set up then the master volume is defeated and the volume knobs on the modules become the master for each channel.

You're right! I just tried it, and everything works fine. I assumed the ENGL did the serial loop a little bit differently due to its preamp defeat channel, but I was wrong. The standard method is the way to go!