Module volume differences?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnjazz

Reaction score
So I recently discovered that a couple of my modules don’t seem to have the same volume range as my other modules. If I’m looking for a clean sound, maxing out the master on most modules makes them pretty blisteringly loud, yet these two see to be about 3/4 of the volume at the same settings.

Anyone noticed this and if so, is there a way to make them more balanced? Turning down the other modules seems to thin them out a bit more than I would like so I’d like to find a way to raise the overall levels of these two guys to match the rest of the gang.

HIya....Modules have varying degrees of output....They aren't able to be universally set in the same position with the same output....It's contingent on gain levels, clipping for extra gain, or in some cases, just low output due to the circuit....

What modules are you having trouble with?

From my experience, mods that have more pronounced mid frequencies seem to sound louder.
My mods that have lots of bottom end need to be at about 3/4 of the way up to be heard as loud as the ones that don't have the same amount of bottom end with the volume at noon. Obviously the result is a huge difference in bottom end between both mods so the bass knob needs to be adjusted accordingly if I want to use both mods back to back.
Just keep the knobs no lower than noon and control the overall volume with the master volume of your Synergy/Egnater/Randall head or your RM4/M4/SYN2 unit.

I’m not sure if I’m explaining myself very well.

I am talking about overall output volume. I have two modules that I can max out both on gain and master and they are still not as loud as my other modules (and those modules are often around noon - 1:00 on the master). Meaning that on my other modules I can make them much louder than these two because I still have real estate on my module master volume.

One is a Salvation, one is a JF. The Salvation is by far the “worst” of the two. It is a little more than half the volume of everything else. It sounds great, but extremely quiet in comparison to the others.

I guess I’m wondering if it’s an indicator of a bad cap or a resistor needing a different value or something like that. Not being particularly EE inclined I’m not sure though.

j4q0 said:
Just keep the knobs no lower than noon and control the overall volume with the master volume of your Synergy/Egnater/Randall head or your RM4/M4/SYN2 unit.

Thanks, but I can’t do this because the differences in output between the two modules is too great. In order for my louder modules to be at the same volume as one of these fully maxed out, I would need to drop the master to around 11:00 and the sound thins considerably when I do.

That's the circuit and the EQ in the mids.
My SM Angel has to be set a bit past 3/4 of it's output knob to match my JF Cali-lead mod at a bit less than noon for example, but if I flip the contour or mid switch on the Angel (augments mid frequencies) I need to bring down the vol knob to match the cali.

Mattfig said:
I get what you're saying.....WHat Salvation Mod? I know, for example, my Matchvox is more quiet than other modules...

Dual Buddy. It just seems like I have to crank the gain and the masters really high to match the output of other modules. For the A channel, I can’t get it to the same perceived loudness as other modules without maxing out both knobs (gain and volume). The B channel is a lot closer, although I still feel like the knobs are both set pretty high (3-4:00 on both) compared to any of my other modules.

It could well be the design of the circuit because my single channel Buddy with the pull knob I used to have was the same way when trying to get a “clean” sound.

I’ve noticed this on stock Egnater modules in the past once or twice as well so maybe it’s something that can be traced back to the original module itself. Meaning I’ve owned several of the exact same stock module and at least one of them exhibited this same wild variance in gain/volume output range, particularly in the A channel.

My Salvation S1S0 is much less output than most of my other modules, I would say it is something like 30℅ quieter on average.