Which stock modules are bad donor modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoW

Reaction score
So a couple years ago I remember reading that some of the stock modules don't make good donor modules. I also remember that one of the stock modules I have (Clean, Brown and Plexi) isn't a good donor module but I can't remember which. I've been out of the game too long :oops:

Best,
BoW

P.S. Where do people get donor modules these days if not from this forum? A couple years ago Egnater was building them but I don't see listings on their website to buy modules.

Reverb.com
eBay
MTS Facebook Group
This forum

Some of the "clean" modules have limitations as far as modding goes, Rob used to have a list of what could be what on his site. Salvation mods tells you which donor is required on their website.

I believe all of them can be modded into something, but for some modules there are limitations.

On Salvation's website there used to be a chart that showed what was possible on the Randall donors. Not entirely sure about the Egnater single or duals. Best thing to do is probably ask Rob or Antonin what modules are ideal based on which of their mods you're looking for.

The above replies covered the answer.

Rob told me once that clean donors are best for clean mods and dirty is best for dirty, with the exception of the XTC which is only good for certain dirty mods.

I have always wondered what made the XTC different. I really replied try to hijack the original post for an answer that question :).

I too would like to know what's different about the stock XTC, and the stock rectifier types as well while we're asking.

When i first posted here asking about a making an Ironheart module, tschrama advised using an XTC over the other dirty modules. I never got an answer as to why.

Not to take away from the XTC hijack or anything, but this got me curious so I just checked my modules and almost all of them were originally Egnater BMan modules. Guess that one is a pretty universal choice?

I had forgotten that the rectified stockers weren’t universal donors as well.

tnajazz, that’s an interesting observation you made about the bman’s. I just recently got my first stock Egnater dual, so I am not versed in them at all.

Maybe some of the older members (if they are still around or even care) will share some info as I’m sure the answer is out there, it just may be 10-12 years old :).

That’s cool information.

Unfortunately, I’m a bit slow and only accustomed to reading schematics instead of looking at completed PCb diagrams and being able to come up with the reason some donors are better than others.

I always assumed the clean modules had the eq before the gain stages and the dirty modules had the eq after the gain stage similar to the real amps (basically a fender topology vs a Marshall topology). Or I could be completely off and severely confused.

A lot of this discussion and conversations probably took place 10 to 12 years ago when the modules were hot the first go round.