How well do the Synergy Plexi and DS modules clean up

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknoize

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and saw a couple posts that were kinda related, but nothing exact. I apologize if this has been discussed already.

I want a module that'll do a solid Plexi crunch on once channel but can also do a passable clean on another channel. It doesn't have to be "Fender" clean, just no breakup.

I'm going to have a second module for my higher gain rhythm and lead sounds, but I'd like the first module to handle the lower gain Plexi-type dirt on one channel, and cleans on the other.

Thanks!

The plexi module goes after the cranked up side of the plexi tone, you can't really get a clean sound. The ds on the other hand is perfect for clean and dirty tones.

rjandrade said:
The plexi module goes after the cranked up side of the plexi tone, you can't really get a clean sound. The ds on the other hand is perfect for clean and dirty tones.

Thanks for the info. Is the DS pretty squarely in JTM territory? Or can it do SLP tones too? I'll have to listen to some demos tonight.

I was kinda hoping the Plexi module would clean up to at least do "marshall clean" even if it's not Vox or Fender clean. In a perfect world I'd have a second SYN2 (or the mythical SYN4?) ;-)

I did try a BMAN hoping that the Bassman was close enough in lineage to the early Marshalls to get into Plexi territory, but I'm not hearing it (but still working on it).

Thanks again.

I have a DS and I can't really get the one side all that clean. I guess we all have different definitions of "clean." For clean I think of a Fender Twin or AC 30. But also I like the plexi clean which has a little grit to it. The DS does not do that for me. It is a nice crunch on the "clean" side and then a nice singing lead tone on the dirty side. But not what I would call clean. I have a Jaded Faith Plexi single module that is wonderful for that clean gritty Marshall tone and then it can go up from there.... a lot like the real thing.

Thanks for the info. I've ordered a Synergy BE, although I expect more of a JCM800/hotrod vibe. I'm not expecting any cleans from it, but it should at least cover modded Marshall territory, and maybe I'll find some lower gain tones I like too.

I think the upcoming BBBE module will be exactly what I need. I can use it for my cleans and my hotrodded Marshall tones, and use the Plexi module for everything in between.

Wasn't the BBBE announced at Winter NAMM as 90 days from shipping? It doesn't surprise me too much when modules in development take longer than expected, but there seems to be a bottleneck in production of finalized modules somewhere. Or is it just me?

I believe that I misspoke in an earlier post on the DS module. I said that it wasn't very clean but have modified my opinion on it. As I have played it with different guitars, I have found that using a PAF style pickup and dialing the gain down to about 2 and the volume on 10 it has a nice clean-ish tone. Have also found that the two channels actually have differences in that if I set them exactly the same, one channel is louder and dirtier. I own a lot of modules and sometime it takes me some time to find the perfect guitar for that module. Like Rob's Dr. Z mod....I thought it was pretty limited until I played it with a strat with vintage style pickups. Now I love it as I also have a new found love of the DS.

blacknoize said:
Thanks for the info. I've ordered a Synergy BE, although I expect more of a JCM800/hotrod vibe. I'm not expecting any cleans from it, but it should at least cover modded Marshall territory, and maybe I'll find some lower gain tones I like too.

I think the upcoming BBBE module will be exactly what I need. I can use it for my cleans and my hotrodded Marshall tones, and use the Plexi module for everything in between.

Wasn't the BBBE announced at Winter NAMM as 90 days from shipping? It doesn't surprise me too much when modules in development take longer than expected, but there seems to be a bottleneck in production of finalized modules somewhere. Or is it just me?

At least it is available now and the BB/BE is exactly what you want.....still can't find a buyer for my Dual BE :-/