16 vs 8 ohm

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I have recently been switching my MOD 50 btw 16 ohm and 8 ohm depending on the speaker cab I use. When I am iin 16 ohm on the amp and using 16 ohm cabs it seems to my ears to be a bit quieter and I run my amp hotter. Is this you guys experience?

The first thing I wonder reading your post is if you have actually measured the cabs to make sure they are what the labels say they are regarding impedance. Particularly if they were purchased used.

Yep. I bought the cabs new and put the speakers in myself. I have a 2X10 @ 16 ohms and a 1X12 @ 16 ohms. All Weber new speakers. I just notice that there is a volume difference as it is somewhat quieter than running a 2X12 cab at 8 ohms. And I do switch the back of the amp to 8 ohms when I do this. I think you recommended that when I run the two 16 ohm cabs that I put the switch at 16 ohms.

If you have two 16 ohm cabs and you are running both, you should have one plugged into each jack on the rear of the amp and set the switch to 8 ohms, not 16. If you had it at 8 in this setting it would explain the volume and heat differences.

I get it now as I must have misunderstood the switching options. Can't wait to try it in the correct configuration.