BB/BE, OS and Savage modules in stock at Sweetwater

Area for the Synergy line of amps and modules
JKD
Donating Member

Post by JKD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

warmachine67 wrote:Any of you lucky ones have thoughts on the savage?

Or I guess particularly JKD :)? From your module list in your signature, you have a few other hi-gain ones to compare the savage to and I’m curious how it holds up in that crowd. Plus from the other OS post, seems you may be hitting it with EMG’s which is what I would be doing.
I loved the sound of the Savage and the Powerball from the NAMM demos....I don't have any other ENGL modules to compare to at the moment but I've had a Blackmore, SE and Powerball amp in the past plus a Salvation ANGEL.

This module definitely has ENGL tone, you hear it as soon as you play or hit the Contour switch....it's a bit buzzy with the Contour as I remember my SE being without tweaking the controls....caveat, I just plugged it in and played.

I prefer it over the VH4 if that helps.

Lots more thoughts to come but not sure I'm a good case, being a module whore I lust for new modules :D
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV

warmachine67
RM100

Post by warmachine67 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks jkd. That helps a lot as I think the vh4 is awesome (though I realize mileage varies amongst certain folks).

I have an Angel E that is fine. I just remember the Vh4 replaced my benzin and Dzilla, and even my real Diezel Einstein.

I’ll take the plunge and get a Savage to help me wait for the powerball when it comes out in a few years.

JKD
Donating Member

Post by JKD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:18 am

warmachine67 wrote:Thanks jkd. That helps a lot as I think the vh4 is awesome (though I realize mileage varies amongst certain folks).

I have an Angel E that is fine. I just remember the Vh4 replaced my benzin and Dzilla, and even my real Diezel Einstein.

I’ll take the plunge and get a Savage to help me wait for the powerball when it comes out in a few years.
I had a Benzin (twice), a JF D'Zilla (?) a Dual EQ Diezel.....yes the VH4 could replace all of them, though is not as heavy as the Dual EQ monster...that thing was finnicky.

Out of them I think the closest to the VH4 was probably the Benzin but I just don't think I like the Diezel voicing.

Few years :P but also :cry: .. you may be right.
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT

warmachine67
RM100

Post by warmachine67 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:28 am

I just ordered the last Savage this morning and the OS is out is stock also.

BE/BB is still available.

Hope the restocking times aren’t as long as it was last summer.

Mike P
Lynch Box

Re: BB/BE, OS and Savage modules in stock at Sweetwater

Post by Mike P » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm

I ordered an ENGL Savage Module today that should be here late this week. I'll post some clips in the next couple of weeks.
www.mikeplas.com
Jaded Faith: Vybe Deluxe
Sacred Groove: MK22+|Rectifier
Salvation: Camerica
Synergy: SYN-2(2)|Diezel VH4|ENGL Savage|Friedman HBE|Metro Plex|Soldano SLO
Synergy Amps Artist: http://synergyamps.com/artists

aside
RM20

Post by aside » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Mike P wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm
I ordered an ENGL Savage Module today that should be here late this week. I'll post some clips in the next couple of weeks.
Please do, interested in this module!
Salvation: JJDirt, Camerock, MarkUS, Humble OD
Jaded Faith: Mark X, XTC
Synergy: SLO, DS
Randall: Plexi

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 pm

There was a big mixup in my order on Reverb.com and the Savage just arrived a few minutes ago.

This is my first Synergy module and I'm guessing that there's something wrong with the module itself because it sounds absolutely terrible. I mean, way worse than any old stock MTS module. Small, midrangey, no bottom. If I turn up the bass, it just becomes a muddy, compressed mess. There's SO much midrange that it's completely unusable and in no way, shape or form sounds like any ENGL I've owned or played through (let alone, in any way, shape or form comparable to the Salvation Angel).

If this module isn't defective then, woo, I have no words...
www.mikeplas.com

werdna
RM50

Post by werdna » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:44 am

Mike P wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 pm
There was a big mixup in my order on Reverb.com and the Savage just arrived a few minutes ago.

This is my first Synergy module and I'm guessing that there's something wrong with the module itself because it sounds absolutely terrible. I mean, way worse than any old stock MTS module. Small, midrangey, no bottom. If I turn up the bass, it just becomes a muddy, compressed mess. There's SO much midrange that it's completely unusable and in no way, shape or form sounds like any ENGL I've owned or played through (let alone, in any way, shape or form comparable to the Salvation Angel).

If this module isn't defective then, woo, I have no words...
Have you set the bias switch inside the module?
RM4, RT2, three old school Randall modules with one being modded, Syn 2 with TDLX, SLO and 800 modules, Marshall plexi with Jose circuit.

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:53 am

werdna wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:44 am
There's a Bias Switch inside the Synergy modules? I was completely unaware. Where is it located?

Also, what is happening in this video? At the 3:45 mark, the module "Opens Up", for lack of a better descriptor, and becomes clearer, with less midrange and more bass. Is this option, whatever it is, available when using the Synergy Modules with an RM100?

Thanks in advance! :D

https://youtu.be/KK-T-KxVmQ4
www.mikeplas.com

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:28 am

Well, this is embarrasing :oops:

With a little research, I found out there are switches under the Tube Cage in which there are settings for a 2 Channel or Single channel amp, along with a Cathode switch.

Now, I'm getting close to the tone I was expecting. I'll post some clips in the next couple of days as I work through the module.
www.mikeplas.com

JKD
Donating Member

Post by JKD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 am

Mike P wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:53 am
werdna wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:44 am
There's a Bias Switch inside the Synergy modules? I was completely unaware. Where is it located?

Also, what is happening in this video? At the 3:45 mark, the module "Opens Up", for lack of a better descriptor, and becomes clearer, with less midrange and more bass. Is this option, whatever it is, available when using the Synergy Modules with an RM100?

Thanks in advance! :D

https://youtu.be/KK-T-KxVmQ4
at 3:45 he switches from the Blue Channel to the Red Channel.

The Blue side is much more mid-rangey and the Red much more balls out Hi-Gain ENGL and as far as I know the Contour switch only affects the RED Channel.

The three way switch affects the first stage in the amp head or preamp on the Synergy gear, it has no effect when playing in Randall/Egnater.
I think either a Fender, SLO or Marshall first stage (cathode coupling or gain...I'm not sure?) R/C values - they are listed in the Module paperwork.

The second (smaller) two-way switch allows you to access the RED Channel in single channel gear but still without the first stage value functionality.

I must admit I was stunned when I saw your first post, hope there is nothing wrong with your module....really respect your ears and ability to dial tones from the past clips you've done.
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:23 pm

JKD wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 am
at 3:45 he switches from the Blue Channel to the Red Channel.

The Blue side is much more mid-rangey and the Red much more balls out Hi-Gain ENGL and as far as I know the Contour switch only affects the RED Channel.

The three way switch affects the first stage in the amp head or preamp on the Synergy gear, it has no effect when playing in Randall/Egnater.
I think either a Fender, SLO or Marshall first stage (cathode coupling or gain...I'm not sure?) R/C values - they are listed in the Module paperwork.

The second (smaller) two-way switch allows you to access the RED Channel in single channel gear but still without the first stage value functionality.

I must admit I was stunned when I saw your first post, hope there is nothing wrong with your module....really respect your ears and ability to dial tones from the past clips you've done.
Thanks for all of the info! It sounds like I'll need a Synergy head or SYN2 to unlock all of the Synergy potential.

As for my initial impressions, I plugged in the module at 6:30pm after a long day in the studio, which was probably a bad idea, but I wanted to hear the ENGL as soon as it arrived. Like I mentioned in that post, I was completely disappointed.

I should have done more research before purchasing but I truly had no idea that channel switching, using Randall MTS amp, was only available inside the actual module itself. And maybe it's my setup but I just could not get a sound that worked on the Default setting. Too much midrange, compressed Bass and Gain, ice pick Treble. I was able to get something usable by dialing out -8db at 140 with a High Shelf set to +4db at 3500HZ but that's not my trip - I want to hear the tone coming from the amp, not from Post EQ in my DAW.

Fortunately, I was able to find the info via a Google search and I'm very pleased with the module using Channel 1, but I cannot foresee a time when I'd ever use Channel 2, at least with an RM100. And FWIW, my module, which was dropped shipped directly from Synergy, did not include any paperwork, so I had no idea about the additional functionality built into the module. I mentioned that to Synergy but received no response about that particular facet of my experience.
www.mikeplas.com

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

So, I'm thrilled with the sound of the first channel of the ENGL Savage in the RM100. But from reading this forum, it seems as if I'll need either a Synergy Amp or a Syn 1 or 2 to take full advantage of the SLO, Friedman, etc.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

I'd like to begin adding more Syn modules but if they're not going to be able to reach their full potential in an RM100, it kind of throws my entire wheelhouse into a tornado, as I really don't want to purchase a Synergy head and for all intents and purposes, start over with a new system.

Experts, what are my options? Thanks so much in advance!
www.mikeplas.com

Mattallica
RM50

Post by Mattallica » Wed May 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Mike P wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm
So, I'm thrilled with the sound of the first channel of the ENGL Savage in the RM100. But from reading this forum, it seems as if I'll need either a Synergy Amp or a Syn 1 or 2 to take full advantage of the SLO, Friedman, etc.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

I'd like to begin adding more Syn modules but if they're not going to be able to reach their full potential in an RM100, it kind of throws my entire wheelhouse into a tornado, as I really don't want to purchase a Synergy head and for all intents and purposes, start over with a new system.

Experts, what are my options? Thanks so much in advance!
Your most cost effective option will be to have a cathode bias switch installed on your RM100, or have the stock cathode bias set to whichever Synergy setting you are most likely to use.
RM100, RM20, RM4 & RT2/50
Synergy: BE, VH4
Salvation: Voxyface(dual), Spawn
Egnater: T/D(dual)
Randall: 1086
Self mods: Laney, Orange, Gibson, Hiwatt...

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Mattallica wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:36 pm
Your most cost effective option will be to have a cathode bias switch installed on your RM100, or have the stock cathode bias set to whichever Synergy setting you are most likely to use.
Thanks for the info!

Is the cathode bias switch something that I'd have to change with each module on the RM100?

If I were to use the modules in a Synergy 2, would I still need to change the cathode bias or is it automatic?

Thanks again for the help! :)
www.mikeplas.com