Mattallica
RM50

Re: BB/BE, OS and Savage modules in stock at Sweetwater

Post by Mattallica » Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Mike P wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 pm
Mattallica wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:36 pm
Your most cost effective option will be to have a cathode bias switch installed on your RM100, or have the stock cathode bias set to whichever Synergy setting you are most likely to use.
Thanks for the info!

Is the cathode bias switch something that I'd have to change with each module on the RM100?

If I were to use the modules in a Synergy 2, would I still need to change the cathode bias or is it automatic?

Thanks again for the help! :)
It is a manual switch, so it depends on what modules you have in the RM100. If all three are Marshall based, then no. If you have one Fender, Soldano and Marshall then you will have to change the switch to get the same response as the Synergy heads.

Synergy amps + Synergy modules = automatic

Randall amps + Synergy modules = Randall bias

Synergy amps + Randall modules = Randall bias
RM100, RM20, RM4 & RT2/50
Synergy: BE, VH4
Salvation: Voxyface(dual), Spawn
Egnater: T/D(dual)
Randall: 1086
Self mods: Laney, Orange, Gibson, Hiwatt...

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am

Mattallica wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 pm
It is a manual switch, so it depends on what modules you have in the RM100. If all three are Marshall based, then no. If you have one Fender, Soldano and Marshall then you will have to change the switch to get the same response as the Synergy heads.

Wow, thank you so much for the info! It's greatly appreciated. :D
www.mikeplas.com
Jaded Faith: Vybe Deluxe
Sacred Groove: MK22+|Rectifier
Salvation: Camerica
Synergy: SYN-2(2)|Diezel VH4|ENGL Savage|Friedman HBE|Metro Plex|Soldano SLO
Synergy Amps Artist: http://synergyamps.com/artists

Mattallica
RM50

Post by Mattallica » Thu May 16, 2019 9:25 pm

Mike P wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am
Mattallica wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Wow, thank you so much for the info! It's greatly appreciated. :D
You are most welcome. Rob will be the man to talk to if you want to get the mod done
RM100, RM20, RM4 & RT2/50
Synergy: BE, VH4
Salvation: Voxyface(dual), Spawn
Egnater: T/D(dual)
Randall: 1086
Self mods: Laney, Orange, Gibson, Hiwatt...

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Sun May 19, 2019 12:18 pm

I received a Soldano SLO last night and just had a chance to plug it in. Saying "Wow!!!" is an understatement. Whether it's with a Charvel (JB/Jazz) or a Fender Custom Shop Mary Kay Strat, this amp just sings! It's soooo smooth, especially on the top end.

I haven't tried it will full-on gain just yet but for mid-gain, this could easily become my Go-To module. It's definitely the best sounding Mid Gain module I've ever heard.

I'm just blown away. :D
www.mikeplas.com

trimix
RM100

Post by trimix » Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 am

Definitely look into the cathode bias select mod for your Randall, it's great to re-visit your Randall/Egnater mods with different cathode settings. I use an RM4 with the stock Randall/Egnater Fender setting and an M4 with the mod set to boutique.

Egnater- M4, SL2X D/S
Randall- RM4, Clean, 1086, Mr Scary, Grail
Salvation- TwinFace, MarkUs
Jaded Faith- Twox, XTC, Custom RVerb
Sacred Groove- Custom SL+
Mesa/Boogie- Simul 395 Stereo
(2) Randall 4x12- X-pattern Vintage 30/G12T-75

JKD
Donating Member

Post by JKD » Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Really nice setup with the switches there. \m/
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm

I'd never heard of a Cathode Switch before this thread. After doing a little reading, most indicated that the cathode switch affects the feel - the sag, lag, squishiness - and not the tone.

Is that correct?

Also, I love the Soldano and ENGL so much that I ordered an HBE. I'm loading up! :)
www.mikeplas.com

RipperShred
RM20

Post by RipperShred » Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Mike P wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 pm
I'd never heard of a Cathode Switch before this thread. After doing a little reading, most indicated that the cathode switch affects the feel - the sag, lag, squishiness - and not the tone.

Is that correct?

Also, I love the Soldano and ENGL so much that I ordered an HBE. I'm loading up! :)
No, it effects the tone a bit too. It effects the feel in part by acting as a high-pass filter as well as whatever else it does; fender/setting-1 doesn't filter any low end, boutique/setting-3 filters a bit out, and marshall/setting-2 seems to filter the most bass out. with the HBE set to its "correct" setting of position 2 it's too bright to throw a boost in front of it (and many might argue it doesn't need it, but I'll agree to disagree with those people) but switching it to setting-1 fattens it up a fair bit and then tossing a TS-style boost in front gets me where I want to be with it.

In a way it's like being able to do a quick - and also instantly/easily reversible - mod to the module to get it to sound and react the way you want it to.

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Fri May 24, 2019 9:26 pm

RipperShred wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm
No, it effects the tone a bit too. It effects the feel in part by acting as a high-pass filter as well as whatever else it does; fender/setting-1 doesn't filter any low end, boutique/setting-3 filters a bit out, and marshall/setting-2 seems to filter the most bass out. with the HBE set to its "correct" setting of position 2 it's too bright to throw a boost in front of it (and many might argue it doesn't need it, but I'll agree to disagree with those people) but switching it to setting-1 fattens it up a fair bit and then tossing a TS-style boost in front gets me where I want to be with it.

In a way it's like being able to do a quick - and also instantly/easily reversible - mod to the module to get it to sound and react the way you want it to.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

In addition to the HBE coming in next week, I'm planning to grab a couple of Syn-2's and (gulp!), a Two Notes Torpedo Studio in the coming weeks.

I'm sure all of the people that know me here on the forum are shocked to hear a purist like me, who's always recorded guitars with mic's, preamps, speaker cabinets, etc., is considering going "In the Box" but the honest truth is that I've run out of room in my guitar closet for more guitars and basses and the only option is to ax the Bogner Cube, Mojave FET and treatment in order to fit more instruments.

Now, if I don't like the results, I'll definitely continue recording the cabinet but if I can duplicate it (and in my correspondence with Two Notes, they have a Mojave FET 201 microphone option), I'll go that route. It'll be a bit weird at first I'm sure but as long as the results stand up...

Also, I didn't want to make a thread for this but I figured I'd share with all of my friends in this forum: Earlier this week, I signed an Artist Endorsement deal with Synergy.

I'm stoked, to say the least. :D
www.mikeplas.com

retropete
RM20

Post by retropete » Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 am

Congratulations, Mike! Of all the Synergy mods, I like the HBE the best. An SLO just arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However an extraordinary amount of electrons were inconvenienced.

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:29 pm

retropete wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 am
Congratulations, Mike! Of all the Synergy mods, I like the HBE the best. An SLO just arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Thanks, Pete! I just placed an order for a Synergy 2 and I'm really looking forward to hearing the new S modules with it as opposed to the RM100.

I purchased ReCabinet 5 along with ten Celestion Speaker IR's from their website today and I am absolutely blown completely away by the sound and the options. I've already put together many combinations for different genres of music and I can't tell the difference in "feel" between the mic'd Lynchback speaker and Celestion IR's.

The IR's really shine with the Jaded Faith Vybe Deluxe, specifically with the Open Back Celestion Blue, Gold and Creamback 2x12's. I could never get these types of tones when mic'ing the closed back 1x12.

Good luck with the SLO! I think it's amazing and hope you dig it, too. :)
www.mikeplas.com

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm

I picked up the Syn-2 and an HBE today from the Synergy warehouse near downtown LA.

My first impression is that the Syn-2 is freaking awesome! There's more "depth", for lack of a better word, when using the Synergy modules in the preamp than in my RM100. Although I was surprised at the lack of Density and Presence controls, the modules were clearly designed without them in mind.

I'll post some comparison clips in the next few weeks when I'm finished up with my current deadline. I'm completely stoked about the Synergy gear and can't wait to pick up more modules, especially the Bogner 20th Anniversary but also the Dirty Shirley and Metro Plexi. :)

This is awesome! 8)
www.mikeplas.com

warmachine67
RM100

Post by warmachine67 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 pm

When are the bogners going to be available?

Kriig
RM20

Post by Kriig » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 am

They said late summer on FB.

Kriig
RM20

Post by Kriig » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:07 am

Mike P wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm
I picked up the Syn-2 and an HBE today from the Synergy warehouse near downtown LA.

My first impression is that the Syn-2 is freaking awesome! There's more "depth", for lack of a better word, when using the Synergy modules in the preamp than in my RM100. Although I was surprised at the lack of Density and Presence controls, the modules were clearly designed without them in mind.

I'll post some comparison clips in the next few weeks when I'm finished up with my current deadline. I'm completely stoked about the Synergy gear and can't wait to pick up more modules, especially the Bogner 20th Anniversary but also the Dirty Shirley and Metro Plexi. :)

This is awesome! 8)
Thats good to know. I never tried the Randall stuff, but i know that the Synergy with SLO and Plexi is great.