I recorded this with a 1086 module...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimosity

Reaction score
Hey guys,
You can check out some clips of my stuff I've recorded with my Randall here:

http://www.americanhc.com/listen.htm

There are two tracks, "From The Inside" is a complete track recorded with the 1086 module as the main tone and the XTC module for the solo.

The second track is a sample, also recorded with the 1086 (slight flange effect in the beginning is from my G-Major).

These are rough demo tracks, let me know what you guys think.

Great song & great tones man, can you tell us more about how these were recorded? mics, cabs, amount of tracks, poweramp, preamp settings etc.

Thanks man...

These tracks were recorded with the following:
Pro tools HD with 192 I/O running on a Mac G4
Avalon 2022 mic pre <can't remember mic>
Presonus M80 mic pre <Audix i5 mic>

The tones are all Randall 1086 in my RM4 -> TC Electronic G-Major for noise gate only really -> VHT 2/90/2 -> TWO Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12's.

We decided we didn't think those recordings were up to our expectations, so we've scrapped those entire sessions, went into a much nicer studio and we should be finished re-recording our entire CD in the next few weeks.

This time, I'll be mixing my Langner and RM4 tones together -> The tone is HUGE.

Here's some pics of the rig I've been recording with lately; but the Randall 1086 settings are in the same positions as when I recorded the stuff that's on our site.

studio_rack1.jpg

studio_rack2.jpg

Just the rough mixes of the new stuff we've done are 100% better than the stuff that's on our site now.

That's awesome man, 1086 and the VHT in the power section sounds HUGE! You clip sounds excellent too, so if you are re-recording it to have it sound better I'm excited to hear it! That was my setup for a while... I miss it! :( My fuchs + pedals better sounds CLOSE to what I had or I'll be mad! The clean and OD on the amp are amazing, but I'm going to be trying a Tri-Metal and a Keeley Metalzone through it to see if I can coax some metal out of her! :D If you ever play out in Philly let me know, I'll def come out to a show! 8)

Thanks heaps that's great info. What are your thoughts on the G-Flex Cabs? I am interested to know more about the langner pre too, how do you run your rig live?

Whoa, sounds very good for demo tracks! Wonder how bigger it will sound with the Langner... Will you post clips on your site when done?

How do you like the 2/90/2? Have you tried the RT2/50? Right now I'm not sure if I should buy the Randall RT2/50 or the VHT 2/50/2. On one hand the RT2 got 2 types of tubes, but the 2/50 had good reviews... :?:

Great clips. Made me glad I bought the 1086. I'm waiting on the base unit to come in but I have the modules in hand...

I can't really tell from the image. What position is the 'mid voicing' switch set to on these clips?

You should record some clips for Randall. The clips on their site for the Modules are horrible and are keeping friends of mine from buying the unit. I don't think Randall understands how important those clips are.

I've had the RT2 for about a year now. Can't wait to pair it with the RM4. I've also got an Engl 570 that's staying in the rack. It should be fun to mix the 2...

Dave

Melodioso go get the VHT 2/50/2. That's what I had and it was BY FAR the BEST power amp I've ever played! AMAZING stuff!!! 8) I just sold mine sadly enough, but I bought some expensive treats so I had to make room/recoup some cash. If you can find one under $800 you are STILL getting a deal! :D I haven't played with the RT 2/50 but I played my Randall RM-100 as well as an RM4/ VHT 2/50/2 setup and the VHT setup took the cake IMO. Go VHT! :wink:

rickgk said:
Thanks heaps that's great info. What are your thoughts on the G-Flex Cabs? I am interested to know more about the langner pre too, how do you run your rig live?

I've used my randall rack (rm4 -> gforce -> vht) into the following with these results:

Marshall 1960b - Good tones, especially with the SL+ and Plexi modules, but not so much with the Ultra or Modern modules, didn't have the 1086 at the time I had the 1960b cab... Overall, the Marshall cab didn't have the bass response I wanted but was "warm".

Carvin Legacy 4x12
Sounds great, but still not enough low end thump for my liking.

Laney 4x12 with H|H speakers
Same results as Marshall cab.

Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12's
I have four of these and always use at least two at a time. For big shows, I'll take all four. For the style of music I play, I don't think there's a better cabinet. My tone is pretty high gain, but articulate, I don't want "flubby". I don't oversaturate to the point of paint peeling off the walls, I think a tone is better when you back off the gain a little and let the tone speak for itself instead of killing everyone with too much gain.
The Genz Benz 2x12's are bass ported, allowing more low end than you could ever need without ever getting "flubby" or farting.
They do tend to lack a little warmth that you get with a Celestion 30 cab, but they sound incredible for the style of music I play.
The fact that they are 2x12's makes it easier to build your setup for the size you need as well.
I've used one 2x12 a couple times, but the cab needs to be off the floor in order to hear it well on stage IMO, but my rig always sounds WAY better when running two cabs.

The Langner preamp is a hard-to-find piece that is worth it's weight in gold. Todd Langner was the guy that all the 80's metal guys went to for modding their ADA's primarily -- you can find out more info on him at www.adadepot.com
The Langner is a two channel preamp with a boost on the gain channel.
The tone you get out of it is reminiscent of Dokken - Back For The Attack or John Syke's tone on the 1987 Whitesnake, self-titled disk. It's one of the best hard rock tones ever. That should be a fact, not an opinion. HA!

I actually run my live rig very similar to how I record; I did one of those GuitarGeek representations of my live rig; here ya go.
gg.jpg

Melodioso said:
Whoa, sounds very good for demo tracks! Wonder how bigger it will sound with the Langner... Will you post clips on your site when done?

How do you like the 2/90/2? Have you tried the RT2/50? Right now I'm not sure if I should buy the Randall RT2/50 or the VHT 2/50/2. On one hand the RT2 got 2 types of tubes, but the 2/50 had good reviews... :?:

I'll post clips online when we get 'em done --- Should be getting some Saturday, so if I do, I'll post 'em.

The 2/90/2 is incredible. I wouldn't part with it to save my life.
I've not tried the RT2/50. I have noticed that I always lean towards 6L6 power sections, but the KT88's in the 2/90/2 are incredible.
While the idea of midi switching a power amp between heads is cool, I'm just not sure it's for me. I always tend to find that I'm unsatisfied with EL84/EL34 power amps for some odd reason. KT88's and 6L6's have always done me well.

Looking forward to hearing those mp3's... :D

It's kind of sad there's no clip on the Randall site for the 1086 and the Ultra XL... Good to have you guys in here!

The next Skid Row album was recorded with a Randall MTS, with 2 RM4 in parallel... It will be interesting to hear that as well!

Hey guys,
Went into the studio over the weekend and laid down a new track; so I figured I'd post a clip to show what the 1086 will do.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A RAW TRACK WITH NO EQ/MIXING - STRAIGHT ROUGH MIX

For this track, here's what I used:
Peavey Wolfgang (EMG 81/bridge) -> Randall RM4 (1086)-> TC Electronic G-Force (for noise gate only) -> VHT 2/90/2 -> (2) Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12's

I doubled the tracks.
The first part of the track is a rhythm with the 1086 and the second part is my solo with the 1086.

Listen here

Whadda ya guys think?

That worked -

Sounds great man - what are you settings you're using on the 1086? Just curious -

The sound really cuts through the mix well and isn't too trebly or bassy - kick *** tone you're getting from that. Props.

Disciple said:
That worked -

Sounds great man - what are you settings you're using on the 1086? Just curious -

The sound really cuts through the mix well and isn't too trebly or bassy - kick *** tone you're getting from that. Props.

1086settings.jpg