Area 58/61 and COD

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Czajkowski

Reaction score
low-crawling under the wire at Fort Mastercard
Area 58/61 Egnater COD Nasty Blues Rhythm

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5515976&q=hi

Here is a clip of the Area 61 (middle) then popping over to the Area 58 (neck) for that nasty blues rhythm tone I like with the Egnater COD B channel with medium gain. (used to use a TS for this but now just the amp) I like how with only medium gain, these new pickups are really percussive, full, and reactive. Also, the 58 in the position closer to the neck has the tightest bass I?ve seen of any neck single coil. Even when doing a heavy picked detuned thing, it isn?t farting out.

I have had a really tough time getting the two single coils on my EB MM Morse to cooperate with the range of tones I try to get out of them. I?ve been through a few different pickup combinations now, and I think the DiMarzio Area 58 and 61 are working the best for me so far of any I?ve tired. I don?t have them as close to the strings as they could be, but to balance them with my low-lying humbuckers, they are about a 1/4 inch or so down.

I generally try to go into four tonal places with my single coils on the same guitar:

1. a very clean thing where they are usually used together or with a humbucker for bluegrass type stuff.
2. Then I like to use them as singles with the fatter Egnater Twin/Deluxe B channel for that EJ type thing.
3. Fuzz Tone with the bridge humbucker and single coil.
4. Nasty blues rhythm. I can get most of the pickups I?ve tried to get me in those first three places very well, but the thing that?s been kicking my butt is trying to get the heavy/nasty blues thing with the same guitar/pus at a 1/4 inch down or more off the strings to keep them out of the way of my spastic right hand.

Ned, they are DiMarzio brand. I've been reading up on those. Dudes on TGP are digging them. I think they are humcancelling low noise but still get the essential single coil sound. So they are basically a "Strat" style pup. They might be the ticket.

Wow! I like those! I have been searching for some good single coils as I too am not happy with current ones. I will have to check those out.

John, what value pots did you wire up the Area 58 and 61 with? 250? 500? 300? Saw some on eBay today, I'm about to pull the trigger.