Which high gain module for Melodic death tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gainhead

Reaction score
I'm very new to the MTS camp, but have owned loads of vintage and modern amps in my 25 years of recording and gigging. I tend to play vintage or boutique heads as clean platforms for my gain pedals, but the MIDI capability of the RM-100 is something I really dig. The previous high gain channel switchers I've owned are the Triple XXX and JSX. Both decent amps, but a bit more compressed than I cared for in the high gain department.

Thus far, I have tried the XTC and 1086 in my new RM-100 head. XTC is nice for rhythm and palm mute stuff, but I need something for the really "stupid gain over the top" liquid solo tones and thrashy rhythms, in the vein of Nevermore, Arch Enemy, InFlames, etc. The 1086 seemed pretty tame to me, it could get pretty saturated but tended to overcompress at the upward travel of the gain knob. Anyone care to recommend another high gain module? The Ultra XL has my interest piqued, but perhaps others have recommendations. I play Les Pauls, PRS, or humbucker equipped Strats. Ideally I'm looking for something that "sings and blooms" for solos with profuse amounts of gain on tap.

I haven't owned the ultra XL, but I have the ultra lead with a mod and that is the most gain of all the modules I have owned. I would say even that one probably doesn't full fill what you are describing, cause I'm looking for the same kind of mod. I hope one of the lynch modules will satisfy that need.