Stock preamp tubes for Recto?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came stock with Ruby 12ax7, my brother has electro harmonics 12ax7 in his recto.

The stock Rubys that came in the old modules are hands down the WORST tubes I have ever heard.

I won't say EH are the "best' but they are excellent and consistent. I've found some modules favor different tubes more than others.

Agreed, those Ruby's suck. I replaced them with 1 EH and 1 JJ ECC803s and it sounds really nice.

See my tubes don't say either Ruby or EH on them. I bought the module used off of Ebay so I don't know whether they are stock or not. I'm assuming they are. It is a first gen model that someone performed the .001 cap mod on. Does anyone have tubes in their Recto that are unlabeled?

I wouldn't obsess over it, just grab an assortment of tubes and play around.

I recommend the 12ax7 assortment pack from Doug's tubes to get you started. In case you're thinking of it, I would stay AWAY from the GT mullard reissue. It's expensive muddy crap at best IME. Mine's still sitting in the box waiting to find what amp/module it works in.

I just bought some preamp tubes from Eurotubes. Got 2 sets of JJ high gain ECC83S's for my 2 high gain modules (Recto & Ultra Lead) and a set of matched triode JJ ECC83S's for my Clean module and to tell you the truth I don't like them all that much. It reduced my gain and seemed to make the tone a bit more muddy. They are supposed to be "high gain" so go figure. Maybe I should buy that tube pack your talking about and check out some different tubes. It's not that big a deal really I'm just in experimental mode checking some different things out. I'm more concerned about getting the capacitor switched out on the UL module than anything else.

I believe that my recto tubes are Shuguang 12ax7-c9. Thy are unlabeled except that they have "12AX7" printed in red letering up and down the side. I had to remove the tube to see the lettering. These are supposedly (according to BOI Audio Works) the highest gain 12ax7 in production now

Go see:
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=426c8bf81a35b4b42fea8c301370f905

As for ruby tubes. I think ruby tubes are pretty crappy in general. I had to replace the ruby 6l6 that came loaded in my RM50.

MetalMajik said:
As for ruby tubes. I think ruby tubes are pretty crappy in general. I had to replace the ruby 6l6 that came loaded in my RM50.

Agreed. Ruby 6L6 tubes just don't compare to JJ's.

MetalMajik said:
I believe that my recto tubes are Shuguang 12ax7-c9. Thy are unlabeled except that they have "12AX7" printed in red letering up and down the side. I had to remove the tube to see the lettering. These are supposedly (according to BOI Audio Works) the highest gain 12ax7 in production now

Go see:
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=426c8bf81a35b4b42fea8c301370f905

Those Shuguang tubes look like the ones that are in my module. They don't have any lettering on them anywhere though. Whatever they are they sound really good.

I've got a shuangang in one of my modules. I found it was a little on the crisp side, so it went into my Brown module to help open it up a touch.

The ruby tubes that came in my Ultra module have gone microphonic so bad that the module is unusable until I get new tubes for it. NuSkoolTone seems to be pretty knowlegable about the ultra module and I was curious what tubes work well in the Ultra module.

MetalMajik said:
The ruby tubes that came in my Ultra module have gone microphonic so bad that the module is unusable until I get new tubes for it. NuSkoolTone seems to be pretty knowlegable about the ultra module and I was curious what tubes work well in the Ultra module.

I had the Ultra and got rid of it. It was just too noisy for me. I dug the tone at low volumes, but as soon as I brought up the volume it was howl/hiss city! Even at lower gains. I never did a full tube swap test on it, I think I had EH's in it. It just stood out as the dissapointment with a good tone foundation if that makes sense. Maybe mine had something up, I got it used, but from what I read my experience was not unique.

I'm eagerly waiting to hear reports on the ULTRA XL.