Noise Supressor or Gate

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunter

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ok so i have been using a GNX 4 through my RM100 and i hate it now that i have moded the XTC, WOW what a difference in tone. Well now i want to build my pedal kit up, so what is the best Noise reduction in a pedal?

Do any of you recomend an EQ and where in the chain (efx-loop or straight in) do you recomend putting them, ie: NS-2, ISP Desimator, MXR-135 SG, and the MXR 10 band EQ. Also i was thinking about running a TS-9 into my mix any other sugestions are welcome. I play allot of heavey metal, ex: All that remains, slayer, KSE, Sepultura etc. So how bout it.

TS9 upfront (of course)

In loop-- Noise Gate Goes first... EQ should go after (but BEFORE time based effects like Delay, if you have any)

I highly recommend the ISP decimator and MXR 10 band.

I have heard and read mixed things about the desimator but you think it is the best to use for my style? I will check more into that. How bout that MXR 10 band, what are your feelings on this. how does it shape your sound and how well does it maintain good tone.

Gate first as mentioned above. If you can find an old Boss NS-50 (half rack) those suckers are great. Also look at the MXR Smart Gate pedal which is basically a Rockman Smart Gate, EVH uses these in the loops of his 5150's.

TheHunter said:
I have heard and read mixed things about the desimator but you think it is the best to use for my style? I will check more into that. How bout that MXR 10 band, what are your feelings on this. how does it shape your sound and how well does it maintain good tone.

The ISP decimator is hands down the best Pedal Noise gate you can buy. The only things that beats it are (expensive) rackmount noise gates. The Decimator is good for any style, but especially metal because of how well it works.

The MXR 10-band is only as good as you can dial in-- with that said, Once you have dialed in a good EQ, it will make your tone incredible.

Ok would you buy the TS-9 before the EQ or the EQ first.

I am looking into the Decimator as we speak so i am deffinatley getting that up, so thank you TheAbomb and thank you NED.

I just ordered the Modern module so that will be hear this week, very excited, seeing how they dont make them anymore and i have only heard great things about them i went out and got on the list for one from Randall.

Any other tips you might have to achive killer tone without that stupid GNX4 would be great. I love what randall did with this Amp and i have hidden its secrets behind a digital tone for two years and finnally discovered its true potential. So now i am ready to step up and get my tone back ( that i thought i had ). It is not easy to get with a fake smulation.

EQ first...It will have a much better effect on your tone (if you use it right)

With the right EQ, you could turn a Fender (with a distortion pedal) into a metal monster. A good EQ will make decent amps sound amazing, and Great Amps sound Insane.