Mod Check

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Hello

Just got mts 100 watt combo, think it's pretty cool, beats my last Marshall. I want to change the cap on my rectified module, I presume it's the mod for high gain modules. How do you do it without stripping the whole unit apart?

Did you see this link from the main site

http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

Yeah I have seen the mod page, which led to these questions. Is this the right mod for the rectified module? Also there are no solder pads visible from the top of the board, the cap covers them, so am I right in presumihg that i'll have to take the unit apart? :?

I don't know if there's been any design/construction change, but my Recto module was modded last weekend and my best friend who did the mod pulled the capacitor from the bottom side of the PC board without disassembling the unit at all.

He turned it upside down and used a pencil-tipped 15-or-so watt iron and some of that spooled braided solder suck-up stuff to pull up excess solder through from the backside holes on the board. Turned it over, pulled the old cap, clipped and inserted the new one, turned upside down again and two shots of solder and it was done.

We did the procedure twice to experiment with both recommended cap changes and it took maybe three minutes per cap swap.

Cheers for the advice on the change i'll have to give it ago. I don't know about yours but mine has a metal plate screwed to the underside of the pcb, covering most of it. Oh well it will just have to come off I suppose!

I also checked the value in the rectified module which reads 2n2, which equates I think, to the .002uf value. This still seems to make the bass too loose sounding, hence the need to change it. I'll let you all know how it went when I get round to it, sooner the better. Is the type of cap important? as I have several types kicking about.

Cheers again!

Hey does anyone know of or have done mods on the 1086 or blackface mods? Also how does the 1086 kick with the el34s in the rm100m compared to maybe the vht 2/90/2 poweramp?