XL cab

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsweapon

Reaction score
I recently bought a randall ra412xl cab and running it with my rm100 head, it sounds really thin in 4 or 16ohm mono but if I run it on 8 ohm stereo it sounds awesome. And to me it just doens't make sense I mean I know its only pushing 2 speakers so it runs them harder but its not even close. I guess my cab could be messed up but I just wondered if anyone else has seen or heard of this problem. And I don't think its the head because its sounds awesome through my rs125xl cab. Thanks,
Ryan

I just took the jack plate off of the cab and noticed that it appears to be wired incorrectly with 2 of the speaker cables reversed. My soldering iron doesn't get hot enough but when it does i'll change it and post a reply to let you know if that fixes it. I hope this isn't common to randall cabs but I bet its the reason I got it cheap on ebay ;)

Keep rockin,
Ryan

Just to finish up this post I wanted to tell you all that it was in fact the cab wired incorrectly from the factory. The speaker cables from the right side 2 speakers were wired backwards and caused the speakers to be out of phase (giving it that terrible tone) so now it sounds killer. Might be something to check if your cab sounds like garbage.

Another thing to check if you have a combo is this. Pull the rear panel off the back of your combo and check the inpeedance of your speaker. My RM50B came with the inpeedance selector swich set at 8 Ohms. I just assumed that this was correct, but I couldn't figure out why my amp sounded so bad. One day I was changing some tubes in the amp and noticed a sticker on the bottom of the magnet that said that the speaker was 16 Ohms. Amp sounds much better now.

Heres a nice link with some .pdf's of speaker wiring

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eiktoblikto/wire_diags.htm

True Egnater products are sounding more and more inviting by the day.

How are the Egnater amps for servicing? Are there huge PCBs that need to be replaced, or are they easier to work on?

MetalMajik said:
Another thing to check if you have a combo is this. Pull the rear panel off the back of your combo and check the inpeedance of your speaker. My RM50B came with the inpeedance selector swich set at 8 Ohms. I just assumed that this was correct, but I couldn't figure out why my amp sounded so bad. One day I was changing some tubes in the amp and noticed a sticker on the bottom of the magnet that said that the speaker was 16 Ohms. Amp sounds much better now.

Same here. The manual even says that it the speaker should be 8 ohms, and mine was set to 8 ohms when I bought it ever though I have a 16 ohm speaker in there.

Yeah it just seems like Randalls quality control would be a little bit better than that. I can say though while I was toolin around with the cab it appears to be built really well. Everything is cut pretty precision and fits tight. Just wired wrong............. :?

I'm not defending Randall, because they should maintain QC standards. However, having an impedance load HIGHER than what the amp is set at doesn't hurt it. It's the other way around, where the output transformer is not seeing as much of a load as it expects, where you can run into problems.