Tube Job For My MTS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songman68

Reaction score
Has anyone ever retubed the RM100, if so what tubes did you use and did it sound better after the tube job?

The reason I ask is due to the fact I have the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's in mine and I don't think i like them to much and the stock EH 12AX7 preamp tubes. I was thinking of either 6CA7's or KT77's for the power tubes. Or the new reissue Mullard El34's. Preamp tubes I am not sure what to do on those. Maybe the new Tungsol 12AX7's or an RFT in V1 and Tungsols in the modules.

By the way is the preamp tube that is right behind the input jack V1? My guess is that it is the V1 tube. Then the two preamp tubes behind that are just tubes for the effect loops right.

So how would all this stuff work in this amp. What position are the preamp tubes in the modules considered? What tube posistions are the two preamp tubes that are in front of the effects loop, V2 and V3 I suspect. Or are they V4 and V5 and the tubes in the modules are V2 and V3. Could someone clear this up for me please.

Thanks

I retubed both my RM50 and RT2/50 with JJ's. The RM50 has E34L's from Eurotubes and I really enjoy the sound. I've got tubes for the modules but haven't changed those yet.

I just did this the other day. I had Ruby EL-34s in there and one of them blew. So I ordered a matched quad of Electro Harmonix's EL34-EH. I've had one practice on them, and so far so good. I can't say that I noticed an amazing difference since I didn't have a full working set of Rubys to compare them to.

I also just switched out some of my preamp tubes. Here's what my setup looks like:
V1: GT 12AX7M
Tweed: EH 12AX7s
SL+: EH 12AX7s
Modern: JJ ECC803Ss
Power tubes: Electro Harmonix EL34-EH biased at 36
Bubinga/bocote solid-body with 2 Tom Anderson humbuckers

I just got a NOS RFT 12AX7 off ebay and decided to play around with that. In the V1 position it makes a huge difference--my Tweed module was breaking up no matter what I did, and the other two sounded like they had more balls. So I moved the RFT over to the SL+, and man is it sweet. It's actually almost too much--it's brighter than I thought it would be, but holy crap does it have some gain. It sounded so good that I'm thinking about getting rid of my Modern and getting another SL+ instead (with the RFT-loaded SL+ as my heavy module, and the EH-loaded one as my rhythm/lighter one). I didn't try it in the Modern yet, but I will probably try that on Monday at practice.

One of my problems now is that the Tweed module is breaking up too early, despite the fact that I've got the gain running pretty low. So I just ordered a pair of NOS GE 5751s off of ebay and we'll see how that works. They're supposed to drop the gain about 30% so fingers crossed.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit!