• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Where can I get a Bias meter socket

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collecter

Reaction score
I need to get one,I already have a multi-volt I just need a socket to hook it up to. I have an Ampeg with 6L6s' in it if this helps.

The short answer is no. Now the long answer. What all bias meters do is, in effect, insert a 1 ohm 1 watt 1% resistor between pin 8 (cathode) and ground. The meter is hooked up across the resistor, one lead goes to ground, the other to pin 8. Using Ohms law, if 1 volt flows across 1 ohm it produces 1 amp of current. What is cool about this is that instead of actually having to break the connection between pin 8 and ground and insert the meter set to read CURRENT and then of course having to re-solder the connection, you now simply set the meter to VOLTS, touch one lead to one end of the resistor the other lead to the other end (which is grounded) and read the VOLTAGE. Because its across 1 ohm VOLTS=AMPS!! So, why can't you just buy this as an adaptor. Everything has to be insulated so you can't touch an open wire and get SHOCKED. There are a few complete units available like the Bias-King or Alessandro which include a digital or analogue meter. About 15 years ago, Groove Tubes did offer an adaptor (which went out of its way to be shock proof) for $150.00 WITHOUT a meter. You could bring you amp to tech who could install the resistors on all the output tube sockets and provide test sockets for your meter leads. DON'T go inside the amp unless you're qualified to work with high voltage. Hope this helps! Pat L.