George Lynch-Sam Ash Guitar Clinic in Atlanta Georgia

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elohr9800

Reaction score
I am new to this forum but a George Lynch fan since the 80's. Although I had read some of the other forum topics regarding previous clinics I really had no idea what to expect last night. I got there about 6:15 and George was already setting up the various guitars on stage. He had 6 of the Sam Ash Exclusive ESP Ltd GL-600MT which is the yellow tiger striped guitar with the screamin demon. He also had the 56 reissue (although he never did play it). Obviously I was excite to watch him do his thing. I was even more excited when I asked the employee at the front door about bringing in a guitar for George to sign. She said that she did not know but it was possible. I went back out to the truck to get and had to register it with the employee at the door. Just so happens that as I was showing it to her George was about to walk outside to smoke a cigarette. He saw my guitar (the LTD GL600 super v and he stopped and started talking to me about the guitar. He also confirmed that he would sign the guitar during the signing portion of the program. As in the previous clinics he had the usual set up with the Lynch Box head and cabinet with the Super V, Brahma, and Mr. Scary modules. Unlike the previous entry about the Cincinatti clinic he did not play the Brahma and stuck to the Mr. Scary module, which was not necessarily a bad thing as it clearly rocked during his renditions of "Tooth and Nail" and "Mr. Scary". He played a lot of his new stuff that will be out on the new record and allowed a few folks to come up on stage and jam. However, he made it clear that he wanted someone to come up that new what they were doing. The first basist obviously did not listen but the second one held his own. Sam Ash did a pretty good job of making this event a special one but took a while to get the predetermined employees on stage to perform with George. He was clearly not pleased as I don't believe this had been a problem previously. Another gripe that I had was during the Q&A session there were a bunch of rediculous questions. One guy asked if he lost his speed after putting the guitar down for six months. Duh!!! I don't think George puts his guitar down. Also, who cares about whether there has been an increase in quality base and drummers over the past ten years and not guitar players. Ask about the equipment, ask about his music, ask about something that makes sense. I clearly wanted to hear music not questions. So did George as he made a comments about people asking a lot of questions. I took that as a hint. Apparently, others did not as the questions continued. Other than the incredible/phenomenal guitar playing the best part of the event was during the signing portion. Samash was selling the LTD tiger striped guitars that George played at a minimally discounted price. After giving my wife the famous puppy dog look she said I could get one but that I would have to sell my LTD super v. I have a difficult time playing the V simply because of the shape so I agreed. Not only did George sign my new guitar he signed the other one as well. Anybody interested in buying my LTD super v let me know. I also got to take a picture with George which was awesome. In the 80's the music was all about the guitar gods so this was like going to a free concert for me. I really enjoyed seeing George play and would strongly recommend making the trip.

Thanks for sharing your experience... GL fan from way back aswell... saw GL at a clinic in Sept of 99... he was awsome allways.

I saw him at the clinic in Charlotte and he was great. The only complaint I have about the clinic is that he was way to loud. I mean wayyyyyyyy to loud. My ears were almost bleeding. I had to walk to the side of the stage to try and lessen the pain.

I would agree that he was a little loud. In fact, when he had the drummer and basist come up on stage he move the amp/speaker back a few feet and turned it up so we could feel the "thump". My wife got sick on the way home because her head hurt so bad. However, that is a rock concert for you and I don't regret the experience. I'm glad I went as I may not have the opportunity in the future. You never know.