Blown Power tube early in amp ownership!?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
Ive had my Rm100 for three months, i got it shipped to me direct from Randall in the box brand new and I've already got a blown power tube in the first position to the left if youre standing behind the head. It gets weekly use for at least 2-6 hours a week at full band volume.

does this sound at all fishy to anyone as in: take it in and have it looked at, or just replace the tube and smile?!

and is it cool to keep playing it as is on the three tubes for a bit you think?

-dave

p.s. Got a new jackson today !!!!!! WOOOOO

Which Jackson? I love my soloist.

JS3.sized.jpg

dinky of some sort with Hz's and a flame top and 3 on a side tuners. I dont know what exactly it is, but its fast and heavy sounding and looks tight

pics in a while

it was only 400 bucks pretty sure it was an MG series or something, but the quality is great;

Just replace it, may just have been a weak tube. I'm sure it'll be fine. Make sure your bias levels are in check. If they are too hot it could cause it to blow.

ive never had to check a bias level how exactly would i go about that while being accurate haha

-dave

The manual explains the bias check and adjustment very well.

Go to Radio Shack and get a voltmeter for starters.

The bias was pretty far out of spec on my rm50 when I brought it home. You would be smart to check that right away. :wink:

As other have said, just buy a new tube and bias it to the specs in the manual, and make sure they ALL match. It is possible that it came to you from the factory with the bias set improperly. I checked mine as soon as I got it and it was perfectly fine, although I raised it just a touch to run slightly hotter for a better sound! :D

+1 to previous repliers with an addition: should you have a second blown valve in that position or one of the other valves blows, make a complaint. You as a user of Randall products is not liable to replacing crappy valves because Randall hasn't picked out the bad ones or has put together a faulty product.

Joey- I dont quite get what youre saying; should i complain about the tube now or just bite the bullet and buy a new tube and then take it up if it blows again?

=dave

Don't quote me on this but I think anything involving tubes from the amp manufacturer's side is only valid for like 15-30 days or something like that, so if you've had it three months I doubt they'll send you new tubes at this point. Pick up some JJ's, they're not too expensive and sound pretty nice! :) Sucks about blowing the tube though, just make sure when you get them that you match the bias up on every tube so it won't happen again. If you replace the tube and it blows a second time, THEN you might be able to have them fix it for free. I say replace the tube, if there are no issues, excellent. If there are, call up Randall and they should make it right!

xspiderfingersx said:
Joey- I dont quite get what youre saying; should i complain about the tube now or just bite the bullet and buy a new tube and then take it up if it blows again?

=dave
Sorry for being unclear, xsfx.

Yes, I think you should bite the bullet on this one, even if it hurts a little. Should it happen again, then turn it in. I mean, usually you don't blow tubes/ valves - you wear them down until noise start occuring and/ or fuses blow. gg510 is right in that respect, however valves are not supposed to blow without reason. Remember to get a matched replacement part or replace all 4.

If there's something you think should be known by Randall at this point or if you're looking for their suggestions perhaps you give them a phone-call. Actually letting the event be known to Randall you'll have a few chips to cash in later on. Your taking care of things this time around would make Randall more prone to help you out in the future when it really counts (who knows; next time it might be the transformer) - frequent nagging over a relative fleabite however will make you look a grouch (even if you have the right/ entitled to) and Randall will be less benevolent to help out in future.

What I'm trying to say is your amp maybe was fitted with a bad valve from the start and it was only a matter of time before it would blow; probably bad QC. Should however other evidence point in the direction you indeed got yerself a faulty amp that's the responsibility of the seller and subsequenty the manufacturer (in this instance one and the same) to provide you with a fully functioning piece of gear.