RANDALL MTS MODULE SAMPLES HERE!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimosity

Reaction score
OK Guys,
After my videos of the 1086 and Mr. Scary module, we were talking about some other samples and hearing them recorded via mic instead of just using a video camera.
We also discussed leaving out any effects processor that could be coloring the tone as well; so I have removed that from the chain as well.
I figured starting a new thread about this would be more appropriate.

As I said in the other threads, I recorded a sample of all my Randall MTS modules.
I have 16 of them (all that are currently available except the Ultra XL, which I haven't been able to pick up yet).

Go here to listen to what I recorded with each module:
http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

Hope this helps some of you get a better idea of what the modules can do.
If anybody has any requests for settings or maybe even playing styles that you'd like to hear with a certain module, I can try to accommodate.

Please pay no attention to my actual playing on these; these would be a poor representation of my abilities as a player I think. The idea is to get a feel for the TONE.

Maybe I should come up with a riff that runs thru several different aspects of playing/picking and play that same pattern with each module...
Hmm. Maybe I need to go back and do these all over...

HUGE Props to you Jim -

Those clips sound fantastic - way ahead of Randall's "clips".

You should submit that link to their website where it says Randall wants to hear you playing your MTS amps.

Is that Modern the silverface or the blackstripe version?

The Modern is the silverface version, it's one of the very first modules I got not long after the RM4 was released.

I don't know that those clips are worthy of submitting to Randall...
Maybe if I re-record them all, playing the same pattern thru them all...

I just got a final mix of one of my bands tracks that sounds far better after being properly mixed.
The RM4 sounds HUGE on it!
Go here to check it out.
<this is NOT the version that's on our website yet>

Sounds nice, here's my $.02--

www.myspace.com/fledfive

The clips for "Can't Figure Out" and "Payback" were recorded with a pile of Randall and other gear. My singer plays through a RM100, and I have:

Hafler T2
Crybaby DCR-ISR wah
Rocktron Chameleon
Mesa Simul-class 2:90

We each recorded with one Randall XL cab with Vintage 30s, and one Marshall 1960 with G12-75s. The leads are mine with my rig, and my singer used the Recto and Clean modules in the studio.

Jim, we all thank you.

And Randall should be paying you commission.

Out of curiousity, where did you have your Depth & Presence controls set on your VHT for these recordings?

Gary

Thanks so much for that jim, those clips sound excellent!! Can you please tell us what levels you had your presence, density, and master set on? Also, what power tubes are you running in your VHT? You are getting some insane amounts of distortion. And on the modules, are you using stock preamp tubes? Sorry for all the Q's but I am after some of the tones you are getting. Thanks again.

Man, that Ultra module sounds a lot more killer then I thought it would. On music123 the clip sounded really loose in the low end and and to mushy. But the Ultra clip you got is so different! Did you put a different cap in it?

Thanks for the clips Jim, i sent you a private message, let me know if you didnt get it. I think im pretty sold on the blackface but dont know about my main distortion module yet.

Jim,

Can you let me know which of those modules you recorded have the mods, besides the JTM?

Thanks -

Mike

goldsparkletop said:
Jim, we all thank you.

And Randall should be paying you commission.

Out of curiousity, where did you have your Depth & Presence controls set on your VHT for these recordings?

Gary

I had the presense at about 12'o clock and the Depth at about 3 o clock.

trendkill1168 said:
Thanks so much for that jim, those clips sound excellent!! Can you please tell us what levels you had your presence, density, and master set on? Also, what power tubes are you running in your VHT? You are getting some insane amounts of distortion. And on the modules, are you using stock preamp tubes? Sorry for all the Q's but I am after some of the tones you are getting. Thanks again.

As I just said; the presence at 12 o'clock, the depth at 3 o'clock and the master volumes at about 10 o'clock.
My VHT has KT88's.
All of the tubes in the modules are stock.

Glad these clips helped generate some interest in some of the modules some of you might not have given a second thought to.

Randall should send me a free Ultra XL module for being such a nice guy, huh? hahaha!

Disciple said:
Jim,

Can you let me know which of those modules you recorded have the mods, besides the JTM?

Thanks -

Mike

Sure, that's a good (important) question.
The JTM, as I said, was modified.

These were also modded:
Blackface
Tweed
Clean
Deluxe

I did the clean mods to these which didn't really change the tone much, it just helped with the clipping (distorting) that was occuring.
Seems that EMG pickups really put a load on the cleaner modules causing them to never really be "clean".

Out of all the others, I don't think I modded any others, but if I did, it would have only been the Recto. If anybody finds that important, I'll look and see.

jimosity said:
trendkill1168 said:

As I just said; the presence at 12 o'clock, the depth at 3 o'clock and the master volumes at about 10 o'clock.
My VHT has KT88's.
All of the tubes in the modules are stock.

Glad these clips helped generate some interest in some of the modules some of you might not have given a second thought to.

Randall should send me a free Ultra XL module for being such a nice guy, huh? hahaha!

Thanks!!!

Jim, just out of curiousity what type of files did you upload those sound clips as? I tried them on both my computer as well as my girlfriend's computer, and they were coming up as playlist files for iTunes. They weren't really working for Windows Media Player, so I just wanted to check to see what extention you used to save the mp3s? If they were saved as playlist files it makes it harder to play as they search for them in iTunes, but if it's saved with a .mp3 file extension they play instantaneously through Windows Media Player (unless you are using a Mac maybe?). Thanks sir, I look forward to checking out all of the clips!