RG75DG3 or RG50TC?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarge

Reaction score
First let me preface by saying I have spent the last three weeks annoying music store clerks trying to find the amp I want.

I kept reading everyone gushing about how solid state sucked and you must go with a tube amp.

Heard amazing reviews about the Peavey Valve king.

I plugged into it and I thought it sounded like a big turd, atleast with the built in distortion. I put my pedal on it and it sounded pretty good.

I plugged into a B52, though it actually sounded pretty good. With my pedal it sounded exceptional. When I turned it off this loud popping noise about took me off my feet. Tried another one got that same popping noise

Went to one last store and tried a RG75DG3. Sweat mother of God it was a beast. I never even bothered plugging my pedal in. Didn't need to. The drive was unmatched. This thing just growled. The low end was punishing. Nothing else I had tried came close. The leads were crisp.

But here is the problem. I'm thinking if Randall can do this with Solid State, what will there tube sound like?

I am unable to find an RG50TC that I can try out.

But the sound I want is thick, driving with muted palm, gutsy low end metal sound. Really like the thick low end.

For those of you who have heard both amps, which one would you recommend?

One more thing, I have seen a lot of topics here regarding problems with G3 series.

This has me a little worried.

I keep reading things about this hum.

I will mainly use this amp for recording. A hum would really suck.

For those who go that hum with the G3 series, did it have it when you bought it? Both Channels? Even with no guitar plugged in?

Any other problems?

Anyone having no problems at all?

How is Randall support if I need to send it in to be fixed?

Thanks

But here is the problem. I'm thinking if Randall can do this with Solid State, what will there tube sound like?

Really this depends on what type of music you want to play. The G3 series is geared towards hard rock and metal while the RG50TC is more straight up rock. It can do the metal thing but it won't have the same extended low end that G3 has.

For those of you who have heard both amps, which one would you recommend?

Once gain this depends on the style of music you play. If you are really into metal go w/ the G3. If you like all sorts of music and want versatility, go w/ the RG50TC.

For those who go that hum with the G3 series, did it have it when you bought it? Both Channels? Even with no guitar plugged in?

A lot of the humming issues have been from the gain being turned all the way up and sitting incredibly close to the amp.

How is Randall support if I need to send it in to be fixed?
If you purchase your amp from an authorized Randall dealer that has a store front (not online) you can always bring your amp back to them if it does develop a problem. They will contact us and we will get the amp repaired or replaced depending on the issue and warranty. If you do purchase the amp online (or if you just want to give us a call to say hi) you can always contact our customer service department for help. Finally, we have a great community of players here to help as well RD/Steve, RD/Man, and evilsam who are all Randall guys.

Great,

Unless I am able to play the RG50TC and love it before hand, I am going to go with the G3.

I play 80 - 90 % metal.

When I'm not doing that I have my ovation out so it's not like I am trying to get a blues sound anyway.

Thanks

that's exactly what i am looking for man, a very chunky low end Metal tone! im also stuck between the RH50T and the G3 heads but i guess the G3 is better for it then?

get the T2 it is the the rawest heaviest, most ridiculous sounding amp ever...

Don't buy RG50TC. Why? First of all it has the worst clean channel I have ever heard. Oh sorry, it doesn't have any clean channel because it becomes crunch when You turn the clean level more then 10 o'clock... That means You can't play any clean sound at higher volumes! If You want to use some distortion stomp box You can forget it right now with this amp. The OD channel is better and it has two modes (unfortunately second is useless and on both the sound looses "definition" at hight volumes) but it lacks presence control witch is probably the weakest spot of this amp. Sorry, almost the weakest spot because of quality... It's well build, looks nice, sounds acceptable but when my first RH50T came to me it was broken, the second one got broken after one month, it was repaired and got broken after 3 months. Now, after two years, sometimes I have problems with powering it up, I push the power button, all LEDs lights up and that's all. Tubes remain cold. No sound. It's dead for some time. Sometimes it's 5 minutes, sometimes it's 2 hours.
V2/T2 sounds great but look at number of failures on this forum. Soon I'm changing amp to Engl Powerball and I recommend to everybody: look for something other than RH50T/RG50TC. It's Chinese, it has Chinese quality and Chinese tone. I'm disappointed and I regret money spent on this amp.

Latest posts