Randall or Egnater - is the difference audible to you?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the difference audible?

• I do think you can hear a difference to Egnater's favour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not think you can hear any actual difference - It's all in the mind.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
Do you think you can actually hear what's a Randall and what's an Egnater? I've seen that Egnater modular products generally score higher than Randall oposites - is that because they cost more (hence the buyer can't be expected to dislike his gear) or what? In other words is an Egnater worth the extra pennies?

Cheers!

(if you happen to know where the corners are cut on the Randalls (if any), you can fill the rest of us in here as well)

On the HC forums, Mctallica1 posted this topic and said he and his friend DID hear a difference and thought the Egnater was worth it.

Well it depends on what you are after.

Michael Wagener (Spell?) is recording the latest Skid Row album (Among countless others) and he's a big MTS user. He feels the Randall are better for the heavy stuff and the Egnater stuff is more for rock and blues.

I own 10 modules (+1 I sold), one of them is an Egnater SL, the rest are all Randall. I compared the Egnater to the SL+, Plexi, and Brown I had lying around and it is most DEFINETLY something different. Almost a completely different amp. Hard to believe but true IME. The Egnater is Bigger and Rounder without quite as much presence. To me is sounded "More amp like" it REALLY feels like a head with that module. I am constantly on the lookout for EGGIES and when I have the cash I pick them up!

The 1086 IMO is an EXACT cross between the Egnater and Randall sound.

NuSkoolTone said:

Michael Wagener (Spell?) is recording the latest Skid Row album (Among countless others) and he's a big MTS user. He feels the Randall are better for the heavy stuff and the Egnater stuff is more for rock and blues.

I own 10 modules (+1 I sold), one of them is an Egnater SL, the rest are all Randall. I compared the Egnater to the SL+, Plexi, and Brown I had lying around and it is most DEFINETLY something different. Almost a completely different amp. Hard to believe but true IME. The Egnater is Bigger and Rounder without quite as much presence. To me is sounded "More amp like" it REALLY feels like a head with that module. I am constantly on the lookout for EGGIES and when I have the cash I pick them up!

Cheers NST! That's basically what I needed to know. I have the choice of going with a used M-4 or a new RM-4, both loaded with their respective brands' modules, and since I'm not into heavy music as such I think I'll go with the Eggie. It will break my budget a bit, but I guess in the long run I will have fewer regretts that way.

joey_truelove said:
NuSkoolTone said:

Cheers NST! That's basically what I needed to know. I have the choice of going with a used M-4 or a new RM-4, both loaded with their respective brands' modules, and since I'm not into heavy music as such I think I'll go with the Eggie. It will break my budget a bit, but I guess in the long run I will have fewer regretts that way.

Dude, NO DOUBT go with the EGGIE if you have the chance. Plus the resalse value of a used Eggie is near 100%(When Bought used) Where Randall (When Bought New) is between 50-60% IME. MUCH Better investment. Since you'll have the M4 chassis and it works with Randall moduels, Pick up some Randys on the used market for near half the price and you'll know right away which you prefer. Even if you decied you like the randalls better (Unlikely IMO, ESPECIALLY if you're doing Classic Rock/ blues!) Just about every one comes up often enough on the bay to snag a few on the cheapness.

PS if you ever decide to get rid of ANY of the EGGIE modules, don't forget to PM ME! 8)

I just picked up three Egnater modules (E-Rect, MHG and EG3/4 modules) to use with my Randall RM50 head. I will report back once I get to try it out through some cabs! :D Still waiting for those darn EarCandy cabinets to get finished... :x

guitarguy510 said:
I just picked up three Egnater modules (E-Rect, MHG and EG3/4 modules) to use with my Randall RM50 head. I will report back once I get to try it out through some cabs! :D Still waiting for those darn EarCandy cabinets to get finished... :x
Cheers GG510, I'm looking forward to hearing your judgement on this matter.

NuSkoolTone said:
joey_truelove said:
NuSkoolTone said:

Dude, NO DOUBT go with the EGGIE if you have the chance. Plus the resalse value of a used Eggie is near 100%(When Bought used) Where Randall (When Bought New) is between 50-60% IME. MUCH Better investment. Since you'll have the M4 chassis and it works with Randall moduels, Pick up some Randys on the used market for near half the price and you'll know right away which you prefer. Even if you decied you like the randalls better (Unlikely IMO, ESPECIALLY if you're doing Classic Rock/ blues!) Just about every one comes up often enough on the bay to snag a few on the cheapness.

PS if you ever decide to get rid of ANY of the EGGIE modules, don't forget to PM ME! 8)
Then the Eggie it is. This thread has been most educating. Just a couple of days ago I was almost set on an RM-4, but all the things brought up here has made me reconsider those thoughts. I now consider me off the Randall concept - though it makes you wonder, doesn't it: what part is the amp and what part is the modules, sonically.

I'll most certainly do that! - though of course there's this puddle of water called the Atlantic ocean and the shipping across it takes a bit of time and money, but if that's OK with you I'll keep you in mind!

NuSkoolTone said:

He used it on an album by a band called Hydrogyn too. I managed to get a pre-mastered version off him. There is something about the tone that I don't like, then again I am not a high gain connoisseur at all so take it for what its worth. Some of the tones are awfully edgy and brittle, with some strange upper mid-range buzziness to them.

I know he used the cabinet simulator that is in the back of the randall heads in combination with various mics like an R121. On the flip side some of the tones also sound great! The intro to the first track has a randall RM20 combo and an old supro combo placed at a 45 degree angle to each other and are mic'ed with a stereo royer ribbon. Both set to a light breakup, sounds frickin' unreal! As does the tone on the back in black cover he did in one of his workshops with Hydrogyn. Balls, thickness yet singing come lead time.

I imagine he also used the MTS series stuff on the latest King's X album which he produced at his studio between Hydrogyn and Skid Row.

Is there only a difference between the modules or also in the base amp chassis?

I am looking to get a RM100, but i do look for something less heavy.

If you put an egnater module in a RM amp, can you then actually use the boost on the module? Can it be switched remotely?

You can only use the first channel on the dual channel egnater modules. Unfortenately.

The Egnater preamp chassis is like twice the price. Unless you have been playing for like 10 or 15 years and you are out off college, got a job, and getting a good income from your music work I honestly don't think the bigger price is worth it. Its like my ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000. It's $700, made in China, but the quality is so **** close to the "top end" its useless to spend 2k as a 17 year old in high school.

I have both the Egnater Mod100 and the RM100. Both are great amps in their own right, but they do seem better suited for different things. They do not sound alike nor do the modules. The egnater sounds more organic, not as much pre gain but great warm sound. The randall is hotter up front. The randall is voiced more aggressivley than the Egnater. I prefer the Eggie overall.
I have been recently running both amps together which is awesome sounding!
Running em like this.
Randall----Blackface, Plexi, SL+ (cap and mid mods)
Eggie------Deluxe, SL, SL++ (cap mod)

Running thru one Eggie 4x12 and one marshall 4x12 each loaded with 2 30's and 2 75's. Sounds very good. Both amps compliment the other so well when used together.

I won myself an E-rect Egnater module off the 'bay. I also have a modded Recto module. Both are killer modules--one of my true faves! However, I can definitely hear the difference.

It seems to me the Recto has a bit more of a notch in the upper mid frequencies--to put it in words, it sounds more "scooped." OTOH, the Recto sounds fatter, although it has a bass switch so you can dial some of that fatness out (along with the EQ, of course). I think the Eggie E-rect can sound "meaner" than the Recto, if that makes sense.

They're both hot modules, but I'd have to say now that I've got the E-rect, the modded Recto will be sold. :)

Orren

I'm going to have to agree with most everyone here and say yes there is a difference. But some Randall modules are better in some ways. It's a personal tatse thing. I have owned the Egnater Plexi and JTM45 modules and I like the Randall versions better and the Brown module rocks. BUT ... some of the Egnater modules like the Eg 3 & 4 and Vox just cannot be beat in my opinion by anything Randall has. I am into more organic sounds and I play music in a Texas rock, Arc Angels/Storyville kind of way, so those sounds suit me.

As far as the difference in the chassis and amps, I hear a difference there as well. When I got my RM50B I originally thought I could get by with 2 modules so I stuck my absolute two favorites in there, EG3 and DLX Eggie mods (BTW the RM50B looks Bad @ss with to black Eggie mods in it!). After a couple of weeks I decided to try going into my Egnater M4 into the effects return and the same modules sounded MUCH better in the M4 chassis than in the Randall head. Not much, but there was a difference. I honestly don't think it's because of the money either, I would gladly pay less for more.

Orren said:
It seems to me the Recto has a bit more of a notch in the upper mid frequencies--to put it in words, it sounds more "scooped." OTOH, the Recto sounds fatter, although it has a bass switch so you can dial some of that fatness out (along with the EQ, of course). I think the Eggie E-rect can sound "meaner" than the Recto, if that makes sense.

Orren

Hey Orren,

Is that one of the newer 2 channel Eggies?