Unkown Modules JTM and ULTRA (not xl or lead)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
Some modules are more popular than others. I hear very little about the ulta and jtm modules. I have seen them on ebay but i have heard little about them. The ultra looks good by randals description of it being the one exemplifies the Randall tone. I have tried the xl series g2 g3's solid state amps and really liked the the distortion.

No the randall website still shows both modules as current models. Will randall try to moddel solid state distortion into the MTS?

A Modded JTM is my favorite module for clean/"voxy"/overdriven tones.

The "Ultra' module to me sounds more like a Recto than the Recto module does.

I think the lack of popularity on some modules is due to the lack of stores that have them in stock for people to test and the less-than-great audio clips they offer on their website.

i've got the reg. "ultra" module along with a clean module for my rm50 head and i absolutely love it.i've tried almost all the other current modules except for the ultra-lead & ultra-xl.i dont really think it sounds like a recto-tone.to my ears,it's like randall's description-"extreme high gain-perfect for all types of metal",which i think it is.it'll do anything from dokken to exodus to death/doom metal.it's hard to describe,but it's not really a nu-metal type-tone,which is what i dont want...by far it's my favorite module for this type of music.it's got the low-mids growl thing going,unlike the xtc module,which has that upper midrange bite.my second fav module now is the lynch "mr scary".i'll probably buy it for my second hi-gain module,but i'll wait to see what the other lynch modules end up sounding like as they come out before i make my final decision.otherwise,the ultra is a very underrated & killer hi-gain module!!!

Tube Head said:
No the randall website still shows both modules as current models. Will randall try to moddel solid state distortion into the MTS?

the randall rep on the harmony central mts forum said there are no plans for a solid state module but there are plans for an acoustic module. a solid state module would kind of defeate the purpose of the mts system.

Randall is doing great things with transistor distortion. In fact many prefer it. It might make the rm even more versitile. But what to do with the name mts?

jimosity said:
The "Ultra' module to me sounds more like a Recto than the Recto module does.

I agree. Just now I'm listening to your samples (great stuff!) and the Ultra model is like a Dual Rectifier with an aggressive MarkIIC+/MarkIV trebly quality to it, when you play that particular part (1:13) saying the Ultra has a "Boogie scooped overly-saturated" tone. I like it 8) , even though it's not what I'm looking for in the MTS modules (as I'm getting an actual MarkIV to do that tone).

I think people's perception of what a Rectifier sounds like and what the amps actually do sound like is too inconsistent to say anything actually sounds like a Rectifier anymore.

I played the Ultra along side a Dual Rectifier, the difference was quite clear.