Tube Opinions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanthic

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just bought a used rm100 head. Im probably going to want to change the power tubes in it. What is everyones favorite tubes. I dont know a whole lot about tubes. I have had jjs in the past but nothing else to compare them too.

Thanks
Matt

try these...
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1388

I have JJs in mine at the mo and they sound great, i used to have Svetlana tubes in my old JCM800 and they give a really retro Marshall sound and are used a lot in marshalls which is why i had them in mine.
I have also used electro Harmonix as power tubes and they weren't so hot...
I've heard really good things about those Harma valves tho...

I just put in two Sovtek 6L6's in my RM-100 and it brightened it up quite a bit. I had to back off the presence (which is a good thing). All in all, the Sovtek tubes are nice.

I just put in two Sovtek 6L6's in my RM-100 and it brightened it up quite a bit. I had to back off the presence (which is a good thing). All in all, the Sovtek tubes are nice.

6L6s of the moment for me are TAD 6L6GC-STR...very big sounding tube but not harsh, quite dark and chewy in fact...love 'em.

For EL34,,,SEDs are good for vintage sounding tube...toss up between JJ KT77s and E34Ls for a different take on EL34 though.

i like the combiming of eh's and jj's both in the pre and power sections, i hear that wet organic crunch the best with this combo. power amp is two eh kt-88 biased at 54 and two jj 6l6's biased at 35. the 88's give a bit of warmth and a nice defined low end as well as some good clear mid punch and the jj 6l6's give it deep heavy lows and good sparkle on the top end. for the pre amp it seems that i like 3 jj's 12ax7 on the chassis but due to micro's in the ones i have i had to change out the v1 for a high gain eh which actually gave it more tone and i love the crunch i get out of the modules now with that tube in that spot. i use tung sols in the mods really like the clarity and headroom they deliver also use the ocasional chinese in v1 of a module from time to time.

JJ, Sovtek, GT EL34M & 6L6C ( HP ), Mullards, Svetlana, Ruby, all good tubes IMHO but ya have to try them to see what works best for you.

Craig

Latest posts