Grail at lower gain settings...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
Anyone done this yet?

I've approached the Grail as a high gain mod and never really tried a low to mid gain tone until now.
I was tweeking for fun a couple of nights ago and dialed in some surprisingly cool old school tones with awsome clarity... works great with a wah too.

Craig

khingpynn said:
Anyone done this yet?

I've approached the Grail as a high gain mod and never really tried a low to mid gain tone until now.
I was tweeking for fun a couple of nights ago and dialed in some surprisingly cool old school tones with awsome clarity... works great with a wah too.

Craig

yup..it looses the kind of low/low mid thing I like about it at lower gain but still sounds killer....back off the gain and use a boost for smooth(ish) lead tone too :D

I noticed I started hitting the strings harder too..finally getting my gain under control..heck sometimes it's 12 o'clock or below :D

khingpynn said:
normally the gain setting i have for the grail is about 1 oclock

12 to 2 o'clock is the sweetspot on all the modules gain IMO

..just been on a kick of dialing back to improve clarity and whacking the strings to get more drive :D

that's intersting...

all modules or all lynch modules?

I find that since I started using Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000 cables... due to their improved signal strenth I've had to back the gain off on average 2 points on the dial to obtain the same amount of gain I had before. On the Mr Scary mod I usually run the gain at 11 o:clock and on the Brahma it's usually around 3 o:clock. The Super V is usually around 11 o:clock.

khingpynn said:

that's intersting...

all modules or all lynch modules?

I find that since I started using Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000 cables... due to their improved signal strenth I've had to back the gain off on average 2 points on the dial to obtain the same amount of gain I had before. On the Mr Scary mod I usually run the gain at 11 o:clock and on the Brahma it's usually around 3 o:clock. The Super V is usually around 11 o:clock.

I should have qualified that..I have a bunch of pedals in front of the amp..which are usually switched in and seriously effect signal level and high end quite a bit...worst offender is probably Morley Lynch Wah :-/.
If I switch 'em out with the bypass looper, yes I can back off an o'clock.

Since I'm looking for clean(ish) on SuperV, it's usually 12 o'clock or less..I agree.

Never run Mr Scary that low...I probably should try since it tends to get congested a little at 2 o'clock :D

the entire signal path effects the end result in a huge way. I use the Super V for cleans aswell... what i look for there is the point of just breaking up so I can control chime with pick attack.\

Cheers
Craig

I always use the Grail Module with the gain rolled back to do Old School Kiss or AC/DC and it sounds great! Its by far one of my Favorite modules. Especially when gain cranked up to get the Back for the Attack tone.

When I run the Grail module, it sounds dead on to the Dokken Back for the Attack album. I run it thru a BBE Sonic Maximizer (Rack unit) and with the Distortion on almost full probably about 5 oclock. ANd the mid almost shut off about 8 oclock and the bass about 2 oclock and the bright switch on. Cranked pretty loud it really is a TIGHT EDGY tone that rips. I see you have the full Lynch box set up too Thats what I play thru(Only single cab........4 now!) Also on the head I have the presence at about 3 oclock and the density also about 3-4 oclock. That Maximizer made a world of difference. REally sets up the tone. I can easily say it improved the tone by 50%!! I cannot believe I have played WITHOUT one for so long and just discovered it. Made it come ALIVE. When I play with it on, then shut it off, it sounds like someone threw a blanket over the amp. I have that Low set at about 1 oclock and the trebel setting on the maximizer at about 2 oclock. Man does that tone smoke! Its even more aggressive now with the KT88's in it.

sounds very cool, thanks for dsharing your settings.
I've been wanting a Sonic Maximixzer for a while now.
I'm gonna have to get serious about it now.
What model SM do you use.

How is the Lynch Box working for you?

I use it te most out of three amps... thats the best answere i can give.

Craig

I use the 482I rackmount. It will TOTALLY change how you hear your amp. NO BS. Just run it thru the effects loop. That is all I use and the tone is unbeliveable. If your like me.....constantly looking for the next best tone. Well that BBE will make you wonder how you ever played without one. Just go try it out at the music store thru any head. I played for about 10 minutes then the salesguy shut it off. Like I said, WET BLANKET tossed over the amp when it was off. I was sold in about 10 minutes. Everyone I have shown has bought one. Hope you like it. and decide to get one.

Dan

I've been looking and really likeing what I'm hearing so far. i need to get my hands on one.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I make out.

Craig

Hey Craig, Any luck on the BBE yet? Going to make your Sound MASSIVE! I see your a big Lynch nut too. I was the guy that had his ESP Serpent that he used on the 97 Dokken tour. I have owned 3 of his guitars. Had a ESP Custom Ultra Tone that was his and also a Kami III. The Kami III was the only one I didnt have a COA on but I got from a reliable source. I also owned the Skull and chains that is pictured on the inside album of the Lynch Pilson album(next to the 2 kids) All long gone by now. I have been a HUGE fan for YEARS and people always ask why I sell off such rare items, well for me I guess its the thrill of the CHASE!! Keep on rocking Brother and let me know if you like that BBE.

Very cool... you've had some awsome GL owned guitars! I've allways liked the Ultratone... seems to be the least talked about GL guitar.

I'm all about the Lynch Box... LOVE IT! I am very happy with the tones I'm getting.

I too have been a huge GL fan for years... once your hooked... have you ever been on the George Lynch Message Board? or Dojo board?

I was looking into a sonic stomp but I'm not sure how it compares to the rack gear.
Seems like everyone here in Calgary carries the BBE line but there are no Sonic Maximizers to be had at this time. I'm gonna hold out to try out.

I was allways a fan of the Boss Enhancer I like that extra clarity and dept'/width it offers.

I'll let you know what happens once I've got my hands on the Maximizer.

Cheers
Craig

Dan... did a little reading on the BBE site. The 482i is two units in one. The Sonic Stomp is a single 482i in a pedal format... very cool!

I'm ordering mine today.

Craig

Found a Sonic Stomp in Calgary. Apparently these things sell like crazy. Most popular BBE pedal according to the shop that has just one left.
I'm picking it up today or tomorrow.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,
That BBE is the best. My friend at the local music store told me the Stomp just maximizes the PICKUP signal while the rack mount does the WHOLE amp tone ? If that makes sense. I never tried the stomp pedal but was hooked on the rack mount one. Yeah that Ultra tone was by far....the best sounding......playing Lynch guitar I have ever owned(And I have owned over 200 guitars) Felt and played like a les Paul. It has floyd on it and came with the COA from ESP. Sold it to a collector in New York. Anyhow, let me know how the BBE works for you. I jammed tonite with my Drummer and first time since putting the KT88's in it. I actually had to pull 2 of them out and replace back the EL34 with 2 kt88 tubes. It was just too BRUTAL sounding! Too much bass and very loud. The 2 KT88 and 2 EL34 in the Lynch box is PERFECT!! Rings in like a champ!
Keep rocking.........
Dan

Dan... makes sence to me bro...

picked up a Green Sreamer today and ordered a 482i, Mind Bender, Soul Vibe, and Two Timer.

I need to build a pedal board since my older stuff is breaking down. Plus I was using a Visual Sound H2O for about 5 years... I sold it cuz I need a change plus for me it had limitatons, tonally it's killer though.

I'm keeping the Dunlop Wah from Hell, Soldano Supercharger GTO ( never sell these two ) and I'm gonna go with BBE for everything else.

It takes a while for me to make up my mind simply because I'm way tooo picky. The BBE stuff sounds great, is priced right, has a good variety, is readily available locally, and has some serious vibe with it's cool looks.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Have you ever owned or do you own a GMP?

Hey Craig,
Let me know how you make out with the BBE stuff, especially the 482i. I was thinking of getting the Mind Bender too.
What do you think of the Screaming Demon/Phat Cat pick-ups combination? I've been leaning toward the EMG set in the LTDs, but the Super V guitar is so cool.