Thoughts on Blackface module...and other clean modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
This past weekend I got to hook up my RM4 for the first time. I'm using a new VHT 2/50/2 for a power amp.

I was rather surprised at how much low end my Blackface module was putting out, and it was difficult to dial out without making the high strings sound brittle. There was also some distortion (especially in the low notes) if the gain was above 10 o'clock. For the record, this is a new Blackface module with the updated resistor.

Maybe this is how a Twin really sounds (have to admit I've never played one), but it wasn't what I was expecting! Guess I was expecting a clean like my old TOL100 had.

Comparatively, my Plexi and Recto modules don't put out nearly as much low end. The Blackface was also louder than them, for that matter.

Has this been everyone else's experience (boomy bass from the Blackface)? If so, what other clean modules might you recommend trying?

Gary

Hi Gary;

I'm new to the Randall MTS stuff but I do have a Blackface on the way and I hope it will really sound clean. I also have other modules on the way but i was hoping the Blackface would do it as far as clean sounds go. On Randall's website, none of the "clean" sounds sound clean to me which has me a bit concerned. The other modules I have or have on the way are Plexi, XTC, Brown, Ultra, and Ultra Plus. My band does mostly 80's hard rock covers and our next gig is in a couple weeks. I'm interested to hear about the various modules from others as well. I was told the Blackface is a better choice than the Clean module, is this true?

my blackface doesnt have that boomy bass your talkin about its pretty well balanced actualy,,if anything i find i have to turn down the treble on it its a bit bright for me,,mine is the older version and i did the resister mod to it...but different speakers guitar and power amp will sound different as well,,my vht 2/50/2 aint here yet so im using my old trusty peavey classic 50/50 power amp and those el84 or pretty bright sounding,im also using a gibson les paul again bright sounding guitar,,and then im using a marshall 1960b cab loaded with 4 g12h30 i found these speakers are the best overhall from clean to full out metal playing they are a bit darker then the v30,s are g12t 75,s,,but i find my tone with all modules a bit to bright so im guessing its got to do with my power amp el84,s are very chimy and bright kind a like el34 but without the bass and deepness..

goldsparkletop said:
This past weekend I got to hook up my RM4 for the first time. I'm using a new VHT 2/50/2 for a power amp.
Hi Gar! What cab are you running the VHT and the Peavey 50/50 into? Could have to do with the design of the cab and the speaker drivers.

If that's sused out, maybe some mod would do the trick.

I run my RM4 - VHT 2/50/2 into a Randall 412 XL cab with Vintage 30s.

On the Blackface module I have ended up with the following somewhat bizarre settings:

Bass all the way down
Mids all the way up
Treble at about 2 o'clock
Gain at about 10 o'clock
Volume level at about 10 o'clock

I have to keep the bass all the way down to get this module into the same tonal ballpark as the others. It wouldn't surprise me if there's something wrong with my particular Blackface, but it works for me with these extreme settings.

For comparisons sake , my other modules (Plexi, Recto, Ultra Lead) are set in the vicinity of this:

Bass at 11 or 12 o'clock
Mids up high (from 3 o'clock up to all the way)
Treble 1 to 3 o'clock
Gain on Recto & Ultra Lead 11 to 1 o'clock
Gain on Plexi 2-3 o'clock
Volume level 12 to 2 o'clock

I don't have my RM4 here so I'm just going from memory on the above settings.

Gary

Latest posts