KH3 gain

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

I love my RM4 (equipped with blackface, plexi, mr scary and XTC modules). Yet, so far I was let down for real high-gain sounds.

I tried the 1086 and the Ultra (with and without additionnal booster), but it didn't get close in terms of massive overdrive to what my Ada MP-1 or my Carvin legacy with a front end booster achieve.

Is the KH3 comparable to the ultra/1086 in terms of gain or does it go way beyond?

I don't know what to say if the Ultra doesn't have enough 'gain' except what you might be looking at is 'voicing'.

The Ultra is very compressed and dark sounding with low mids that aren't very present even when the mids are cranked.

Never played an ADA unit...does it have high gain Marshall 'roar'?

I believe the KH-3 may be the highest gain marshall(ish) module produced to date based on what I read but I'll let the RD guys chime in.

You could always use a Tubescreamer type pedal or a clean boost out front for more?

I am specifically using the ADA MP1 3TM which is a modded version with an additional preamp valve.

Both with the MP1 and the clean bossted legacy, I can get a very good hi gain marshall impersonation. Very compressed, tight distorsion. I have never been able to replicate this with the RM4 modules. I guess I will have to get myself a KH3 to get sure.

you want an ultra xl. its basically a super insane way over the top hot rodded marshall/5150. it has way more gain than anyone would ever need. although i use almost all of it :twisted:

i own BOTH the reg ULTRA & ULTRA XL...imo,they both have about the same amount of gain.the XL version has more mids(mostly upper midrange) and that extra "fullness",in the tone,may be perceived as sounding gainier.the regular ULTRA,as JKD mentioned,has more of a scooped mids to it and has an overall darker tone.the XL definately sounds brighter.i was one of the fortunate ones that got to try the KH2 & KH3,recently,at the Randall factoy "tour",back in december.i do not recall the KH3 having more gain than the reg ULTRA.the KH3 is based off the SL+,so it's basically an SL+,with another gain stage added,still very Marshally.i've tried all the mts modules and,to me,the ULTRA sounds the heaviest & evilest!!! it's an over-the-top super high-gain module in the vein of,say,a Peavey XXX...... :twisted:

the ultra xl does everything the regular ultra does just way better in everyway imo.the reg ultra is a chainsaw with no clarity. the xl is much nicer and for super saturated gain on the mts series it can't be beat. for heaviness next in line would be a 1086 which to me isn't real gainy but the tone can get pretty heavy on it. a modern is a good one to try as well. it has more gain than the 1086 but is quite scooped and dialing in mids is hard but its a mean one when its cranked.