Modular Effects? Hmm. Here's my idea...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimosity

Reaction score
So I was thinking that it would be a cool idea for Randall to build an effects unit similar to the RM4 that would be for effects.

I only use about 4 effects, so it'd work out great for me to build my sound around having exactly what I use instead of having a ton of crap I don't need.

I'd go with a Delay, Chorus, Phaser and a Tremolo.

But there are so many effects that could be made into modules, I think it'd be a great marketing idea for Randall.
For those NOT into rack gear, they could build modular pedals similar to the Tone Core series from Line 6 that have interchangable modules only have like three or four effects modules in one pedal.
This would open up the idea of the guys using heads having the ability to have a "Tube Screamer" module in front of their head.
I won't get into the effects chain issues and what effect should be where, cause this is just an idea I've been thinking about.

Of course the modules would have to allow for multiples being allowed to be on at the same time, which I think would be awesome for the RM4 as well...

That's my idea.

Ability to save the settings as well. If you going to go rack with midi to compete you've got to be able to save the knob positions.

But yeh smoking idea.

ned said:
Ability to save the settings as well. If you going to go rack with midi to compete you've got to be able to save the knob positions.

But yeh smoking idea.
I agree with Ned. Routing the effects could pose aproblem but it'd be gr8 with an (R)M-4 with true valve effects, top to bottom (or the possibility of one - don't need valves with every effect). Most ODs -> distortions are really there to inject some additional juice into the pre-amp section anyway.

I remember talking about this on the other Egnater forum... it intrigued me so much that I went and looked up Egnater's patents for the modular system, and sure enough, he already has provisions in the patent for providing modular FX that can be routed/mixed various ways with the modular amp.

Of course, the patent doesn't necessary mean that Bruce/Randall will start producing modular effects, but rather it means that nobody else can start producing them.

--B

Sounds like a great idea...another issue I can see is that four channels are usually enough variety for most players, but we might want more than four possible effects. Six or eight bays would be more reasonable, but the cost would skyrocket, not to mention the cost of engineering . If you want pedal sounds and MIDI control in one rig, Bob Bradshaw created (and still dominates) that market.

bduersch said:
I remember talking about this on the other Egnater forum... it intrigued me so much that I went and looked up Egnater's patents for the modular system, and sure enough, he already has provisions in the patent for providing modular FX that can be routed/mixed various ways with the modular amp.

Probably protecting his design. Lots of great invention, having been patented are bought by companies so that infact they're a dead fish from the get go. The difference from an OD is definition wise hard to point out, except one is placed before the other.

Also the price you pay for a boutique effect today (although not a valve one) is slightly below that you pay for an MTS module. These effects modules couldn't possibly therefore be priced accordingly.

Having said that, suppose a modular effect could be controlled and tweaked by 3 knobs instead of the 5 of the MTS system we'd have 6 bays for effects in a unit of the size of an (R)M-4.

Showing my age - please check out the Korg PME-40X series of pedal modules and dock. Awesome pedals in the day, still have mine. Four pedals in a box, all analog, at least in the early series of them, but a few digital ones were added in the 2nd set of released modules. Takes some of the "new" shimmer off of the Tonecore module idea, doesn't it.

I have the analog delay, flanger, chorus, overdrive, and an EQ, but can only fit 4 at a time. The last spot is stereo capable for the stereo modules, exhange them the way that you want. Nice system back then.

Its most of what you are looking for - analog part, at least, no saving, no memories - just nice analog heaven :)

You can somewhat say the MTS system has been done before as well.
The Seymour Duncan Convertible Amplifier back in the late 80's was developed in order to allow user to have a choice of various different tone options (even solid state, not sure why :) ). What is unique about the MTS system is the Midi control system.

What I don't like about the SDC is that the Tone Stack is fixed as compared to the modules of the MTS system where each module has it's own tone stack and thus a better representation of the tone the user would want to achieve.

Is there anything else I may have overlooked?

FM

Well, the Korg PME series provided the footswitch, the in/out, and the voltage rails. Outside of this you could put anything you want in the space provided. Additionally, at +/-15V you had way more dynamic range available than a single 9V.

No MIDI control, which would be a cool addition, accepting PC messages for on/off, but to maintain the nice analog sound, you would be limited to these same things as the MTS series, IE: no knob control via MIDI.

Wow... pretty much forgot about the SD Convertible, and have never heard of the Korg PME before...

The Line6 ToneCore setup is pretty intriguing, though, especially if they could come up with a multi-module floor unit and a rack-mount unit. Heck if they came out with a MIDI-controllable rackmount unit, I'd buy two... one for in front of the amp, one for in the FX loop. At this point, there is only a single module dock, but I wouldn't be shocked if (patent permitting) they were working on a multiple-module dock.

http://www.line6.com/tonecore/

Seriously, on the ToneCore stuff, anybody know how the module interfaces with the dock? Couldn't be that many pins, right? (a couple for audio IO, a couple for power, a couple for switching...) Maybe if I get bored enough I'll build my own rackmount. :)

(Side gripe: can't believe that with 11 different modules they don't have a phaser)

--B

Pin wise it's probably not an issue, the hard part will be the mechanics of it all. Getting the spring release, etc.

I agree, they have to be thinking about a multi-dock. Doesn't seem to be much of a reason to buy a single dock and module. Most of us don't really swap out pedals on the fly where there is enough time to swap a module - not during a gig - hard to justify any cost savings with the current method.

Does anyone know - are all the modules digital? I have the verbzilla - very nice, but definitely digital. Just wondering about the overdrives and such.