KT88 Going in the Lynch Box today!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman1971

Reaction score
Had the Lynch box for a year now and love it. Going to swap the all 4 power Tubes out to some new Sovtek KT88 today and am stoked to hear how it will sound. Read good reviews on them in the RM100 series. Any feedback from users that have done this or heard one with the KT88's?

OH MAN!!!!!! Just when I thought the tone couldnt get more HOSTILE.........The KT88 in the Lynch Box......SUPER OVER THE TOP!! I recently had a Splawn Nitro and the Randall Crushed it with the stock tubes. Now I am not sure if there is a more BRUTAL tone than that 1086 module with the KT88 run thru a BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER(RACK MOUNT) into a Lynch box cab!! I also have the GRAIL module and that thing REALLY BEEFED UP TOO!! If you guys were not sure about swapping the tubes to KT88's, dont wait!! It was easy to BIAS(AFTER I BLEW 2 more fuses!!) but once I got in the zone it went EASY. Not sure how it will sound with clean modules. I play mostly metal and hard rock. With a "little clean" I just roll the volume back on my guitar. Check it out!!

I always wished i could have gotten a chance to hear them. I bought a pair when i first got my head but the tubes were faulty and ended up getting a refund. I still got that big...what if?

The JJ KT88 are expensive! They go for $75 /pair. I want to check them out, but dropping $150 for a quad and may not liking it is a waste.
T.

Well I was looking for a different tone and module when a friend suggested simply swapping the tubes will make a Helluva difference and cheaper than another Module. I got a Matched Quad set for $95.00 Brand new. I looked on Ebay for about a week to see what they were going for and that was a good deal but about the cheapest you can get for new ones. I picked up some used KT88 tubes for cheaper but keeping them just for backup. It really turned the amp into a different (MORE POWER) Monster. I am very pleased 8)

AMEN TO THAT!!! Its like its a BRAND NEW HEAD! Totally AGRESSIVE sound and my band mates jaws hit the floor when I ripped it open! NO BS....if you want the KILLER HEAVY SOUND, GET THE KT88's! It took me a minute to BIAS them(and a couple fuses!) But man.....was it worth it.
Rock on Brothers........
Dan

What do you guys bias the KT88s at? Looks like I'm gonna have to drop $150 to try it 8)

You can get a set for under $100 if you keep checking on Ebay. I went with the Sovteks for the matched quad. I did buy some used KT88 Groove tubes but only for a backup. I got 3 of them for $45.00. Not a bad deal. I set the BIAS at 53. Make sure to do it a few times to make sure since when the tubes were getting warmer the bias numbers climbed a few. I checked them several times for about 10 minutes to make sure they stayed at 53. Man that thing screams now. Makes even the GRAIL module seem like a metal module. Takes away all the "brittleness" sounding. I just love the heavy tone so the tubes were perfect for me.
Dan

Thanks, Dan . I gotta give it a shot, i don't even care about dropping $150, as long as I get a great tone. I'm trying to get my RM100 head more into the ballpark of the EVH 5150 III head, with lots of sizzle in the mids but heavy bottom, like a Steve Lukather/Dann Huff type gain 8)

I never Heard the 5150 III but have owned the original 5150 and 5150 II and liked them both. The tubes give me a LOT MORE bottom end. So much that I had to re-adjust my settings from previous to putting the new tubes in. Had to back off the Bass quite a bit. Really a POWER sound. I also read if that tone gets to be too much that you can keep to EL34 and just put in 2 KT 88's to get a sweet mix. I went straight for the matched Quad 88's and was blown away. But each persons tone is all different on what they are looking for right? Have fun!

jimosity said:
I put KT88's in my RM100 and it does stomp mudholes in the *** of every other head I've used. Period.

What brand of KT88s you using?

I put Sovteks in mine and it just CRUSHES! This has been the tone I have been looking for over 20 years. Funny how just swapping out some Tubes makes a big difference. Plus I just got that new Lynch Box Cab and that made a big difference as well. Really BALLSY sounding.

I did a little research and found there was a slight difference in the Tubes, but I wanted to play it safe and just went for the KT88's. They were about the same price. NO REGRETS on my end at all! :wink: