KH-3 first impressions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

Got my KH-3 this morning and I could do a quick home test for 20 minutes at low volume only.

First impressions are very, very good. I tried several MTS high gain modules before (ultra, modern, 1086, Mr Scary) and was never satisfied with them. The ultra sounded big but without much grind and bite in the mids I tough. I could never get a sound I liked with the 1086 in spite of its many options. The modern sounded good but "flat", without much personality. All in all they were all good modules but with my rig, ears and hands, it just wasn't cutting it.

The KH-3 is just the model for me. It got in a matter of minutes the sounds I wanted for the others and couldn't get. The module retains some key marshall distorsion features in the mids, but with a more modern twist. Side by side with my Mr Scary that has some definite plexi origins, its obvious that the KH-3 is closer to a JCM800 that thinks it is a mesa rectifier.

Boosting it even further with an MXR ZW44 or a maxon OD-9 gave good results but I don't think it will be necessary in a band situation, when power amp overdrive quicks in and bring extra natural compression. I aso added a 1khz 3db scooped for a more full on metal sound.

So for you all kirk hammett fans who wonder: "Does it sound like the black album?", the answer is: it can. It will never sound like a massively overdubbed and produced record of course, but it definitely has the right blend of classic and modern distorsion to get you in the ballpark.

Thanks Randall! I am thinking of getting a KH-1 now. It turns out my blackface has a hardtime with my flying V EMG and I would need the KH-1 extra headroom to avoid having to massively drop my volume anytime I hit the clean channel. :D

Does your blackface have the 150ohm resistors feeding the optoisolators? I think it's R1,2 and 3... if not, that could be why your EMG guitar is overloading it. It's a common fix, look at the sticky for modding modules in the module section.

Pete

Thanks for the advice Pete! I bought it third hand so it may have been modded or not. I really have to drop the signal down to half level to avoid any overdrive which sucks.