Anybody mod their Mr. Scary?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringgrind

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone's done any mods to the Mr. Scary module. I never hear anyone talk about modding this one.

Mine is stock. Initially I found it to be a bit harsh sounding but it must have been a wrong pickup/module match as it sounds fine now. To my ears it sound very brownish with a little more gain.

When I first played a Mr. Scary module I HATED IT. But after playing thru a Different guitar/speaker combination and setting it different it sounded REALLY old school Dokken and I like it better than my Grail module. Now I just need to snag one........I had to give the one I borrowed back to my friend! :cry:

I'm not even considering a mod to this or any other Lynch module... they sound spectacular right out of the box... I'm far to happy with the tone to change it.
If anything a preamp tube change out but thats it.

khingpynn said:
I'm not even considering a mod to this or any other Lynch module... they sound spectacular right out of the box... I'm far to happy with the tone to change it.
If anything a preamp tube change out but thats it.

Big +1 to this. I found I preferred it with passive pickups though...unlike the KH-3 which totally loves the EMG-81s in my KH sig guitar :D

The face that the SuperV, Scary and Grail all kill makes me want to buy a Brahma.

The fact that the KH-3 sounds so great makes me want a KH-1 and KH-2...

I don't *need* any more modded marshall sounds...aaaarghh, help me :twisted:

Big +1 to this. I found I preferred it with passive pickups though...unlike the KH-3 which totally loves the EMG-81s in my KH sig guitar

+1 again. The KH3 is a perfect match with EMGs which is what kirk is using. It's the module that took me the least time to dial. I guess the main difference between the standard modules and the signature modules is that the signature modules are really designed with a full setup in mind, from guitar to speaker, so that the preamp matches exactly the required tone in this configuration.

In that respect, I wouldn't be suprised if someboy playing the Mr Scary mod with EMG pickups, with 6l6 power tubes and GT75 speakers turned out to be disapointed by the module. This is just not what it was designed to be paired with in the first place. At least if you really want to get Lynche's sound.

Agreed. Passive pu's with the lynch mods for sure. Though my Silhouette Special sounds great with the Lynch mods especially through the Brahma and Super V.

yep...my favorite module,right now,is my BRAHMA "boosted" with a BBE Green Screamer o/d pedal...man,it just has a really sweet,vowel-ly,mids-rich,tight tone!!! mmmmm!!! nyummm,nyummm,nyummm!!!...LOL! btw,i love my MR SCARY too!!! doesnt need a thing done to it.just plug 'n' play,that's it...

How are you setting up the Green Screamer?

Right now I have the dials... written in O:clock format

level 2
tone 1
gain 11

I find that the GS adds addition dimension... girth is another way of saying it.

It works really well with the Super v in that it "fills out" the Super V's tone which is normally stringy, thin, sparkly clean... atleast thats what I have it set up for... fattens it up and makes it growl very nicely.

Craig

hey khingpynn...my GREEN SCREAMER is set,as follows: LEVEL-5 O'CLOCK/TONE-12 O'CLOCK/GAIN-7 O'CLOCK...so,basically,i have LEVEL up all the way,the tone set half-way(which is a "neutral" setting)and the GAIN is all the way down...i really love this pedal & what it did for my BRAHMA...i agree that it adds more growl & some girth,but it's tight,punchy girth & the low-end is still there,very little drop!!! like i said,i've been playing the BRAHMA module more than anything else i have.i think i like it even more than my MR SCARY,for hot-rodded Marshall tone(with the BBE pedal pushing it,though!).the MR SCARY is pretty mids-heavy,which makes it excel at leads,but the BRAHMA,with the BBE "on",has that same tone,but with just a bit less mids(and vowel-ly,at that),yet enough to make the tone equally great for chunky rhythm chugging as well as sweet,juicy leads!!!(hmmm,almost sounds like a commercial for "Mrs Butterworth's Pancake Syrup"...LOL)...anyways,just my take on it!!! :) btw,even though i set my GREEN SCREAMER up as a "boost",it has enough gain to it to make the BRAHMA module a raging metal screamer!!! ...enjoy the pedal!!!

hmmm,almost sounds like a commercial for "Mrs Butterworth's Pancake Syrup"

LOL...

Thats sounds like a cool set up for sure. As a clean boost.
Agreed, it's tight and punchy and unlike oth OD's I've tried it does not strip away the bottom end... did I mention it is ver organic sounding aswell.

I'm impressed with BBE.

Dan... never hurts to try one bro it is a very good OD for the Brahma and the Super V.

Craig

I am open to ANYTHING to get "THE TONE"!! Like Eddie said.....Always chasing the tone!! But that EG5 is about PERFECT!!!!

I want to settle down and just have a couple Modules, but that Gear bug bites and all this new stuff coming out and MAN.......just cant help it! Anyone else share this "sickness" that I have?? :roll:

Mailman1971 said:
I want to settle down and just have a couple Modules, but that Gear bug bites and all this new stuff coming out and MAN.......just cant help it! Anyone else share this "sickness" that I have?? :roll:

I have a full M4, two modules in my RM50HB and still enough left over to fill one of them 8 slot Randall cases...and I know I'm not the worst module hog ;)

WOW!!! :shock:
I thought I was bad!! hahaha
But If I dont like em.....I dump em. Need more funds to buy new GEAR! Like a Kid in a Candy store.....cant make up my mind!! :D