KH-3 arrived today :D

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Hard to describe the tone..doesn't remind me of any randall module I currently own..

It's voiced dark...which is good..more useable treble and a nice pairing with an EMG=81..in a birght guitar..e.g. ESP KH2 :wicked:

It feels and sounds chewy..which is good

It's quite bass heavy..even with the bass at 12

Gain is nice at 12..but better at 1:30 to 2 :D

Mid control is sensitive...I dunno if max mids will be enough for some but I like the midrange on it.

It really sounds like it's voiced after a cross between a Mark and a Rectifier...kinds of like a hybrid between Hets and Kirk's tone if you ask me....could probably dial either quite easily IMO.

It's sometimes reminding me of early Metallica and sometimes of their studio tones as heard live from their various videos....or garage days style.

..and this is with the stock tubes, which are Ruby 12ax7a..probably won't bother changing these :D

..oh and I have KH--88s in the RM50HB right now, which might be making the bass a bit boomy...gonna switch to 5881s in a moment.

For bonus points it's also possible to emulate a Metalzone pedal..Gain 10, Bass 10, Mids 0, Treble 10 ;)

JKD said:
Hard to describe the tone..doesn't remind me of any randall module I currently own..

It's voiced dark...which is good..more useable treble and a nice pairing with an EMG=81..in a birght guitar..e.g. ESP KH2 :wicked:

Mid control is sensitive...I dunno if max mids will be enough for some but I like the midrange on it.

It really sounds like it's voiced after a cross between a Mark and a Rectifier...kinds of like a hybrid between Hets and Kirk's tone if you ask me....could probably dial either quite easily IMO.

It's sometimes reminding me of early Metallica and sometimes of their studio tones as heard live from their various videos....or garage days style.

..and this is with the stock tubes :D

..oh and I have KH--88s in the RM50HB right now, which might be making the bass a bit boomy...gonna switch to 5881s in a moment.

For bonus points it's also possible to emulate a Metalzone pedal..Gain 10, Bass 10, Mids 0, Treble 10 ;)
Is a KH-88 a sig Hammet tube? :lol:

jmgman70 said:
JKD said:

..and this is with the stock tubes :D

Is a KH-88 a sig Hammet tube? :lol:

heh...ya caught me red handed with the sig gear :oops:

I dunno but I'm guessing he's all about 6L6s...KT88s sound fookin' massive though

I should be getting mine either tommorrow or Friday. I did get a chance to play one at the music store. Seems like all my Modules are all HEAVY Gain ones. Might have to thin some out. but that KH3 is a KEEPER!!!!

Funnily enough, I found unlike you that the KH3 is closer to a Marshall than an Mesa. Which is why I really like it. It's definiteley a marshall / Mesa crossover and a very good one!

Steven Latch said:
Funnily enough, I found unlike you that the KH3 is closer to a Marshall than an Mesa. Which is why I really like it. It's definiteley a marshall / Mesa crossover and a very good one!

It definitely starts in Marshall territory..if you turn the gain down, you can sort of hear it better...but it reaches solid sounding high gain territory that only a modded marshall can deliver and when the voicing really opens up at volume...it doesn't sound so Marshall..if that makes sense?

Oh yeah.......they sound GREAT! I almost think they sound totally UNIQUE campared to any of the other mods. SUPER HIGH GAIN!