MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOL100 vs. TOL50 -- sonic differences?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bduersch
RM100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: TOL100 vs. TOL50 -- sonic differences? Reply with quote

I was just offered a heckuva deal on a TOL50 head, and feel inclined to jump all over based upon how much I dug my old TOL100 combo. I'm venturing to guess, based on the specs, that the two will have pretty different tonalities. Can anybody who's owned/played both of 'em comment on the differences?

Thanks,
--B
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
Lance-a-not
RM50

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TOL100 vs. TOL50 -- sonic differences? Reply with quote

bduersch wrote:
I was just offered a heckuva deal on a TOL50 head, and feel inclined to jump all over based upon how much I dug my old TOL100 combo. I'm venturing to guess, based on the specs, that the two will have pretty different tonalities. Can anybody who's owned/played both of 'em comment on the differences?

Thanks,
--B

I have owned both (actually 2 TOL50s, and 1 TOL100) and there is certainly a "Egnater" tonality that is similar. The midrange and bit of darkness to the amps is similar.

Response is chewier and a tad spongier on the 50, the channels are like 2 and 3 (with less gain) of the 100 watt. I like the 50 biased up with 6l6s, and the 100 with 34's.
The 100 does have a more immediate attack, much more gain, and an overall tighter feel... But the 50 is no slouch, it will easily do GNR or Aerosmith type gain and tone.

I will own both again.

I hope this helps !
bduersch
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That does help... I'm actually thinking about picking up the TOL50 to use in a A/B setup with a Fender Deluxe Reverb... the DR would provide all the cleans, then I could boost channel 1 on the TOL50 for a crunch tone and use channel 2 for a lead tone. I'm going for sort of an "Eric Johnson, but smoother" vibe.

I still haven't found anything that sounds as fat & punchy as the DR for clean work... don't know if it's the rectifier tube, don't know if it's the 6V6's, don't know if it's some other old-school Fender magic... but I just can't quit playing it.

--B
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lance-a-not
RM50

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bduersch wrote:
Thanks! That does help... I'm actually thinking about picking up the TOL50 to use in a A/B setup with a Fender Deluxe Reverb... the DR would provide all the cleans, then I could boost channel 1 on the TOL50 for a crunch tone and use channel 2 for a lead tone. I'm going for sort of an "Eric Johnson, but smoother" vibe.

I still haven't found anything that sounds as fat & punchy as the DR for clean work... don't know if it's the rectifier tube, don't know if it's the 6V6's, don't know if it's some other old-school Fender magic... but I just can't quit playing it.

--B

If it helps, the second clip here (Puppet Strings) is the TOL 50 with a touch of boost in front:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=503479

I think the 50 would do EJ-ish tones better than the 100... Good luck !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Other Egnater Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: