Open Back v. Closed Back cabs

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panic

Reaction score
I have always used closed back cabs and have always played pretty heavy thrash metal. A few friends have asked me to play some classic rock with them and the other guitarist has an open back cab.

Is there a big difference in sound (we haven't played together yet)?

Also, what's a good module for classic rock. Thanks.

Michael

Hey Mike,

Glad to see you back man, enjoying the RM-100S? :) Closed back cabinets will give you a much tighter, heavier bass response whereas open back cabinets will have a more "airy" feel to the notes. Hard rock, metal, thrash etc. work best with closed back cabs for the above reasons, but depending on what kind of classic rock you are playing you may still be cool with a closed-back cab, or possibly a 1/2 or 3/4 closed back instead of a full open back cab. I usually think of open back cabs for bluesier music, or 60's-ish music. I would say try out a couple at a music store and see what fits best with the type of music you're playing. It might help if you could list a couple of the bands (or similar music) music you will be playing?

As for modules, you should check out the Plexi or Top Boost, depending on if you want the Marshall or Vox distortion. I think the Plexi excels for classic rock, plus if you run a clean boost in front of it you can make it sound more like a hot-rodded JCM-800!

Heh.... you should have grabbed that MTS cab off of me a couple months ago, it was both closed back as well as 2/3 closed back if you removed the 1/3 top part. A guy on here score it, he LOVES it! :D That might be a suggestion, if you can find a Randall MTS cab (older kind though, not sure about the newer 2x12s they offer as mine was the original MTS cab) used at a good price I say check them out. It was one of the best cabs I owned, I kinda regret selling it! :oops:

Thanks Matt. I know I should have grabbed the MTS but with the move and all I decided to wait. My loss. Thanks for the input.

Did you get your EarCandy cabs yet?

Michael

No sir I'm still waiting for them, I should be getting the first one soon though and the second one is coming not long after. They take a while because they build each cab by hand and there were like 30 orders before mine! :( I am using a Mesa Boogie 1x12 Thiele cab with an EVM-12L 200 watt speaker that sounds ENORMOUS right now, so I'm good until they come! :)