XTC or 1086 or KH3. Which One?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have both a 1086 and an XTC, both with the works from Pete as far as mods. I haven't played a KH-3, so I can't offer an opinion on that one.

The 1086 is really versatile. It covers a ton of tones right out of the box and does them really well. You can go from mid gain tones to screaming high gain and all in between. It's low end is tight and focused, which helps it do a lot of tones really well. It also is good for lead work. Some on this board have claimed it doesn't have enough gain, but that is far from my experience. I play heavy/hard rock in my band and I typically run the gain around 1-3:00. More than enough and great clarity.

The XTC is really only a lead module for me. I have several other modules that do high gain rhythm work better for my tastes. It is unbeatable for huge , thick lead tones though. The notes are huge and round and just sing beautifully. If it didn't do this so awesomely I would have sold it. I can't bear to let it go though for that very reason.

If I wanted versatility...I'd satisfy myself with a 1086..but it's a little bland sounding comparing the tones it produces that are similar to others in the MTS range..but it's versatility cannot be denied.

If I just wanted all out, face melting high gain with great voicing and good for rhythm and lead - KH3 :twisted:

Thanks guys. That helps me for sure. I am really new to the MTS. I have a Super V and a Blackface so far. I think I will get the 1086 next. They don't seem to come up on ebay at other than new full retail very often. And here I can't seem to be fast enough that someone doesn't beat me to it ha.

Thanks again for sharing your experiance.

I owned all 3 of them. To me the 1086 just plain rules. VERY TIGHT and VERY heavy sounding when run thru my EMG's. I like how dynamic it is and quiet for as much gain that runs thru it. Its my favorite Randall module by far for metal. The stock XTC was a little Muddy/Bassy for me. The KH3 just had a distortion that I couldnt get into. I preffered the 1086. But everyone hears things a little different and thats just my opinion on the 3.

I have the 1086, and ultra. I cannot stress the awesomness of the 1086. You can get virtually any tone. I HIGHLY REC boosting it with a tubescreamer with the level at max, drive at 0 and tone at 0. It bring's that bad boy to life.

I think the ultra is my tone when boosted with the turboscreamer. This is the tone i've been looking for, for 8 years.

I am soo happy with randall right now.

XTC- for leads, solos, can't be beat, great tones especially with EMGs
1086- for chunky, metal rhythm

tonymustang302 said:
I have the 1086, and ultra. I cannot stress the awesomness of the 1086. You can get virtually any tone. I HIGHLY REC boosting it with a tubescreamer with the level at max, drive at 0 and tone at 0. It bring's that bad boy to life.

I think the ultra is my tone when boosted with the turboscreamer. This is the tone i've been looking for, for 8 years.

I am soo happy with randall right now.

I really want to try this as well with my rig but havent done so. Which Tube screamer you using? The BBE or a Ibanez? Which models? Sounds awesome and I cant wait to try it out myself! :twisted:

maxon 808 :twisted: just got a 1086 yesterday, i can't believe i ever sold the first one i had cause this thing is way good

mailman, im using the first issue of the tubescreamer, BUT!!!!! I would REALLY REALLY Rec buying a tube pedal from

"http://bodenhamer-electronics.com/"

I'm waiting for my custom OD pedal from him, ive heard nothing but amazing stuff from his modded OD pedals. He completely builds to ure taste. My pedal which is his own design is $120, and like i said, people say this pedal "bloody murder" brings out the life in their amp much more then any other pedal they've ever used. I can't wait to try it. Also everyone on "sevenstring.org" is using them to boost their amp's, that's why he's 4-5weeks behind in order's..... his pedal's rule. He has got 10 other OD pedal's he mod's to REALLY bring ure tone to life. including the MAXON 808 Maximus

On edit: It's pretty much what Pete does with the modules, this guy does with OD pedal's.

maximus1 said:
maxon 808 :twisted: just got a 1086 yesterday, i can't believe i ever sold the first one i had cause this thing is way good

Ditto, i will never get rid of this module, also, the ultra. I think i found my tone for my 2 different tunings. I Love how the 1086 brings out the low tunings i have on my 6 string. All the other modules sound muddy.

Now im stuck because i have 3 modules and no room for the XTC in my RM100 for leads. :(

Ditto +1!! I just re-bought the 1086 last week as well. It just dont get any better than that one! Thanks for the info on the OD Pedals. I have a good idea what I am going to be getting next! 8)

KH3...s'cuse the playing..my normally horrendous playing is even worse on a new guitar first time playing it and the missis filmed this one secretly too :D

http://homepage.mac.com/jkd_steve/iMovieTheater47.html

That actually came across pretty good. When ever I used to try and record I could never get it to sound close to what it is live sounding. I am not much into engineering or recording. Hell.....I can barely walk and breath at the same time!! :lol:
Sounded good though. Looks like you might be getting back your Old Erect Module JKD!! Talk ta ya soon,

Dan

Mailman1971 said:
That actually came across pretty good. When ever I used to try and record I could never get it to sound close to what it is live sounding. I am not much into engineering or recording. Hell.....I can barely walk and breath at the same time!! :lol:
Sounded good though. Looks like you might be getting back your Old Erect Module JKD!! Talk ta ya soon,

Dan

All the natural reverb if the garage helps immensely when recording. I could never get a sound I liked close micing, so much so that I sold off $1k of recording gear for <$500.

Don't underestimate the power of last minute snipers .,,, I'm fairly confident you'll get way more than that ;)

We play out in my Pole barn and have a small studio built with Carpet padding surrounding the walls. In person it sounds awesome. But when recording......its a real bear. My Bass player gets into all that. He owns the mixer, CD burner...etc. I am just there to play loud riffs and have fun!!
I think I might go out and rock a little this afternoon. Been digging that SL2 module. :D
I know about the snipers. I just lost a ESP Skull and snake last nite in the last 10 minutes!!! :evil:

JKD said:
Mailman1971 said:

Dan

All the natural reverb if the garage helps immensely when recording. I could never get a sound I liked close micing, so much so that I sold off $1k of recording gear for <$500.

Don't underestimate the power of last minute snipers .,,, I'm fairly confident you'll get way more than that ;)
I guess your wife is the new sound woman..LOL....It sounded pretty good

you have a KH20... :x :x :x I will one day own one of those. Mhy KH-2 is by far the best guitar i have ever put in my 2 hands. It increased my speed and agility.

But like I said, I still think that to acheive the closest sound to a mesa the ultra boosted is where it's at IMHO. I messed with mine and the drummer said it sounded exactly like Lamb of God. Lamb of God uses Mark IV's. My 2 cents.

tonymustang302 said:
you have a KH20... :x :x :x I will one day own one of those. Mhy KH-2 is by far the best guitar i have ever put in my 2 hands. It increased my speed and agility.

But like I said, I still think that to acheive the closest sound to a mesa the ultra boosted is where it's at IMHO. I messed with mine and the drummer said it sounded exactly like Lamb of God. Lamb of God uses Mark IV's. My 2 cents.

I'd been assuming for a while that the Ultra was modelled after that scooped Mesa Mark tone others have been saying it's a 5150 type thang.

Ultra = great..I love it.