New Lynch Box Owner

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qbclub13

Reaction score
Hello guys just wanted to say hi and ask for a little advice on the lynch box. I ordered the lynch head and cab with the mr. scary and super v mods to start with. I will be using a 2004 esp kamakaze 1 with this stack so I'm hoping to get the lynch tone frrom the 80's and 90,s.

Is there any dos or don'ts I need to know about with the lynch box(otther than common knowledge) I'm replace a 120 watt blue voodoo half stack so I do know about tubes. started reading a few pages here and saw people haaving troubles so thought I would see if there was things to look out for.

Thanks

Chris

Some of this is common tube amp knowledge (and it looks like i mis-read your post..you *do* know about tubes...oops, my bad) :

Don't power the head on without the speaker cabinet connected!

It's best to match the Ohm load on the cabinet with the head (There's a switch for 4/8/16 Ohms on the LB)

Make sure when you turn the amp on, you apply power and then wait a minute or two before taking it off standby - saves wear on tubes.

First time you power up the Lynch Box - set the head Master Volume to zero and after following the power up procedure take a multimeter and check the bias on each one of the four tubes. This is trivial to do and I think there's a video somewhere.

I've had the bias shift in transit...it can make the head sound bad and wear out tubes quicker if set wrong.

The Randall manual tells you the correct bias. I believe RM100LB comes with JJ E34L - which can be biased hotter than a regular EL34.

Enjoy the LB....Super V is one of my favourite modules....with the Mr Scary and a Lynch Sig guitar, you'll be able to roll back the guitar volume for those dirty clean passages and crank it for full on Furious shred.

Mr Scary has that Modded Marshall / SLOish vibe down to a tee.

Thanks for the fast reply any advice is welcome, going from the crate stack to the Lynch Box I can only drool and wait :)

qbclub13 said:
Thanks for the fast reply any advice is welcome, going from the crate stack to the Lynch Box I can only drool and wait :)

Yeah...sorry about mis-reading your post though...the bit about checking the bias is sound advice for you though...I had a head arrive that was set at 19mA when it should have been 35 or more...sounded like crap :D

I'm still waiting on my setup to get here but should be in the next few days, while I wait on it I do have a question. I own a boss gt-8 that I have used for several years with the crate and I would like to use the effects with the Lynch box but I dont want to kill the tone of the LB.

I found a way to get the effects I want without killing the LB tone, I sold the Gt-8 and got the effects in stomp boxes lol

Hey congrats on a killer amp.
It's ordered and on the way?
Very cool!

Things you should know about getting GL tones

#1 Less is more when it comes to distortion

#2 George's tone is as much from his hands as it is from his gear.

#3 MUST HAVE POWER AMP DISTORTION! less preamp gain and compression than one might think.

#4 George has an unorthodox picking approach.

#5 Lynch tone is all about clarity. Use a good quality cable.

Check out the George Lynch Forum for George's Lynch Box settings. Under the thread "ask gerry".
I've posted some here too.

Cheers
Craig

I got the lynch box on friday and man this this is killer, I have been all over the dojo looking for settings so I did find the thread you pointed me to. First time in several years I have plugged straight into an amp and liked the tone.

I got the half may add the other cabinet in the future, right now I love this thing. I'm trying to find a place to order the other two GL moduels but seems Brahma is out of stock in the places i know to look.

Chris

yeah there are availability issues from time to time... hang in there... they are worth it.

Do you have other 4x12 cabs?
I'm curious to see how you rate the LB cab alone against other cabs.

Craig

I have the BV412 crate cabinet and to really be honest it is hard to explain but the lynch cabinet with the LB head sounds fuller maybe that is a go way to say it. The LB head with the crate just did not have the punch that the LB cabinet has. I have sold the crate head and cabinet now or I would try to hook up the lb cab and crate cab to the box and see if it would maybe balance out. Overall there is not even a comparison between both stacks the LB just smokes the crate.

qbclub13 said:
I got the half may add the other cabinet in the future, right now I love this thing. I'm trying to find a place to order the other two GL moduels but seems Brahma is out of stock in the places i know to look.

Chris

There's usually 2 or 3 Brahmas on eBay at any given time....lots of MTS guys use that as a front end for their store..funkymunkymusic, warpdrivemusic.....two that come to mind right now.

Congrats on a great amp dude! khingpynn nailed it when he said less is more in regards to the gain on the Mr. Scary mod. That's the best advice I would give ya as well. Hope you're enjoying it!

Thanks Man and Im loving this amp, I also ordered the Grail and Brahma moduels from neils music so soon i will have all Lynch Moduels. Those should keep me busy for awahile, but i do want to check out the Hammet mods also down the road.