KH3 vs KH2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctallica1

Reaction score
I currently own the KH3 module, but am having a bit of a love hate relationship with it. One time I play it, it sounds GREAT....then next, all I do its tweak.

I am wondering if I should give the KH2 a whirl to see if it is more my thing.

I think I am looking for more of a modern take on the classic thrash sounds. The 3 is there, but I am wondering if the 2 will be more my thing....I am definitely a high gain metal guy, but I tend to use the least amount of gain possible to get the aggression I am looking for.

I do a lot of aggressive heavy handed palm muting as well.

For those who have spent time with both (outside a store for a quick demo), what would you say are the pros and cons of each?

FWIW, I have an offer to trade my KH3 for a KH2 and am leaning that way, but if the 2 is pretty similar.....

I hear more of a looser/vintage vibe from the KH-2 compared with the KH-3..but I only kept the KH-2 for a week and didn't spend a lot of time dialing it in.

Based on that comparison...I prefered the KH-3 for a modern take on vintage thrash tones...although as you've found the KH-3 covers a wide range due to excellent sweep on the mids.

The KH-2 has more than enough gain.

Maybe my ears aren't that great but I think the KH-2 cops a similar range of tones to the 1086 if you've ever played one...maybe c3 value is different 'coz I think it's a little looser.

I know Mike was looking to trade to a KH-3..perhaps you could do a temporary swap ? :D

P.S. As soon as squid music get the KH-2s in, am buying another though....the first one I picked up in a trade 'coz it was easiest way to off a guitar I was selling....I sold/traded the KH-2 away because I need the cash for my new guitar..and not because I didn't like it.

No way to make clips anymore....got fed up of not being able to capture what the amp really sounded like...mic positioning too much of an art....room tone <> good, recorded tone....it really pissed me off :evil:

I think you would dig the KH2. It is lower gain but still can bring the chunk just fine. The KH3 is just insane :) I've been using the KH2 a lot lately for similar stuff. Cleaner/clearer sounding heavy rhythm tones that are nice and crisp.

mctallica1 said:
I currently own the KH3 module, but am having a bit of a love hate relationship with it. One time I play it, it sounds GREAT....then next, all I do its tweak.

I am wondering if I should give the KH2 a whirl to see if it is more my thing.

ME TOO!!!

JKD said:
P.S. As soon as squid music get the KH-2s in, am buying another though....the first one I picked up in a trade 'coz it was easiest way to off a guitar I was selling....I sold/traded the KH-2 away because I need the cash for my new guitar..and not because I didn't like it.

Steve,
I got them in 10 minutes ago. Yours is already in the box and will ship out today.

Thanks

Squid Music said:
JKD said:

Steve,
I got them in 10 minutes ago. Yours is already in the box and will ship out today.

Thanks

Curt,
you rule @ life sir! :D

Thx again,

Steve

So I guess I'll have KH-2 and KH-3 again soon...:D

I can always do the camera clip thing again if anyone wants to hear them side by side?

Steve

I've had a KH3 for week now. I like it a lot. I was surprized that it wasn't more modern sounding. There is lots of tweeking that's for sure. I can get a pretty vintage sound out of it actually. I will try to record a few seek n destoy licks in the next few days and post em on here. I can get pretty close to that vintage tone with it. That's what I was surprized about. I haven't tried KH2 yet though. There isn't much ground I can't cover with my current modules (dlx, brown, SL+, Recto, 1086, and KH3). All the tones I need (for now). :twisted:

wildwood said:
I've had a KH3 for week now. I like it a lot. I was surprized that it wasn't more modern sounding. There is lots of tweeking that's for sure. I can get a pretty vintage sound out of it actually. I will try to record a few seek n destoy licks in the next few days and post em on here. I can get pretty close to that vintage tone with it. That's what I was surprized about. I haven't tried KH2 yet though. There isn't much ground I can't cover with my current modules (dlx, brown, SL+, Recto, 1086, and KH3). All the tones I need (for now). :twisted:

I think there's a lot of overlap between the 1086 and the KH-2

I was extremely surprised at the range of tones in the KH-3..it can do old school through to modern day..and much better sounding than the 1086.

Mailman1971 said:
Juggernaut said:
I still like the 1086 better :lol:

+10000

That thing is incredible. Hook up a OD in front of it with the Level all the way up and WATCH OUT!!!!! 8)

lol...it's AMAZING how our "tastes" vary so greatly.i've given the 1086 a try,twice over,and absolutely HATE the tone out of that module...cant quite put my finger on it,but it's like,even though it's got a .001uF C3 low-end capacitor in it,there's this "fizzy,tubbyness" to the bass characteristic of the module's tone.just couldnt dial it out!!! ...plus the "recto-ish"-tone side of the module(mids-voicing switch "set" to the right,i believe),imo,just sounds like a heavy blanket was placed over the speaker... :? versatile=yes! ...but that's where it ends for me!!!

goldwing68nv said:
[

lol...it's AMAZING how our "tastes" vary so greatly.i've given the 1086 a try,twice over,and absolutely HATE the tone out of that module...cant quite put my finger on it,but it's like,even though it's got a .001uF C3 low-end capacitor in it,there's this "fizzy,tubbyness" to the bass characteristic of the module's tone.just couldnt dial it out!!! ...plus the "recto-ish"-tone side of the module(mids-voicing switch "set" to the right,i believe),imo,just sounds like a heavy blanket was placed over the speaker... :? versatile=yes! ...but that's where it ends for me!!![/quot

+1, I have to agree with you here. Tone is subjective isn't it.
But yes, I hate that fizziness on the bass you heard. Never used the modules on a gig yet except for some rhythm stuff. I can see with some mod, it'll be better.
T.

Well, I am going to find out if I dig the KH2 better then the 3....just bought one.

FWIW< I also love the 1086 module :p

the 1086 is bad *** and the kh-3 is even badder. don't care for recto side of the 1086 but the other side is pretty sweet. the k-3 is totally killer and is my fav for sure. it is very versatile and just the slightest tweak makes a big difference in tone, i could hear a vht , a 5150 , a rectifier , and a randall/ hot rod marshall all just by adjusting the eq. how versatile is that :) overall though i'm just happier with the signature mods over the regular ones, to me they just sound alot better.

maximus1 said:
the 1086 is bad *** and the kh-3 is even badder. don't care for recto side of the 1086 but the other side is pretty sweet. the k-3 is totally killer and is my fav for sure. it is very versatile and just the slightest tweak makes a big difference in tone, i could hear a vht , a 5150 , a rectifier , and a randall/ hot rod marshall all just by adjusting the eq. how versatile is that :) overall though i'm just happier with the signature mods over the regular ones, to me they just sound alot better.

that's how mesa's are...u sneeze over the eq's and it change's the tone completely.