I request feedback on the rig I'm building

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
Now you're free to compliment and complement the gear I have - and of course you can respectfully and sympathetically inform me about the unwise purchases I may have made (obviously the pre and power amp combo is most crucial). Right, here it goes:

Egnater M4 pre-amp (single, used) [being shipped as we speak]
--- ' ' -- Twin module [so is this one]
--- ' ' -- SL+ -- ' ' -- (to be converted to an SL) [this one too]
Randall Plexi module (will probably keep it as a spare or mod it up to Eggie standard if possible)

Mesa/ Boogie fifty/fifty Power-amp (used), no clue has it been dark-modded or not. Looks all original under the bonnet, but then should Mesa have tinkered with it I'm not sure you'd see it

Marshall SE-100 Attenuator and speaker emulator (used)

TC Electronic G-system, to be patched into a 69 config with the M4 - thanx Songman68 on Harmony-Central forums.

Speakers and analogue pedals are still in decision making progress. I'm leaning towards an MJM London II Fuzz and a Vox Big Ben OD effects; various Celestion, Eminence and Ted Weber speakers (open to suggestions - think Mike Campbell and Eric Johnson)

Cheers,
Jonas

evhwolfie said:
How do ya like the g system, I want one really bad!
So far I have only used it in temporary set-ups in which I have basically run it directly into the Mesa poweramp. TC are known for some of the best reverbs, delays, choruses available and they have not saved on their efforts to make yet another "incredible soundmachine" as they call their own products.

The reverbs are probably not the VSS-type found in the M-3000 (which I have) and newer but it sounds authentic enough for a guitar FX-unit. In all it leaves you few complaints - you're just amazed by the things it does to your guitar sound

According to a review in a Swedish guitar mag the Wah is supposed to be the jewel in the crown. I have yet to buy an expression pedal to use it, but from what the auto-wha can exhibit it's very good indeed.

Some grizzle-guts and effecs-should-be-analogue fanatics might find some of the effects too clean. I'm willing to concur that e.g. the chorus sound a bit white-washed. The demo videos at www.tcelectronics.com exhibits this too - as if the chorus couldn't decide whether it's a detune or a chorus at times.

I might sound a bit too enthusiastic about this FX-unit, but the truth of it is I am a TC-maniac. Those Danes down south really know FX - TC is just one manufacturer of many.

A compromising flaw with my unit is the fact the front instrument input appears not to work at all. I will have to get back to TC about that (and could they send me a new uploading software). The rear one does work alright though.

In all it's a very flexible box and floorboard combined that's so much more than a G-force and midi-board. I haven't spent any time programming the thing yet, but I'm sure I could spend hours just trying out various effects, settings, routings... you name it. The pre block and post block arrangement is very convenient - I only wish it would have full sample rate for the post block too, but then maybe I wouldn't have known the difference.

Anybody else?

I got the M4 yesterday and I'll get new fuses probably tomorrow (plz don't ask) and I'll try and patch the thing up and hook them up to the existing 1960A I got.

Suggestions wanted:
Valves for pre-amp + modules and power-amp.
Speakers and cabinets for classic and not too loud rock.

Also: If you got an Eggie SL, let's compare components with my SL+ I'm to convert into an SL (they didn't have an SL, that's why)