Pic of Kirk's actual RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ82

Reaction score
A real one, being used and not just a prop :)
2589792780_82a2bbb39d_o.jpg

that's cool ...
one thing i did notice was his LIVE rig at Bonoroo!!! he had 4 RANDALL heads on stage and 4 cab's !!! very sick looking ....BUT they should turn the **** things on!!! so at least he looks like he using them .... kinda dissapointed .... this is the reason i really don't like endorsment deals ...it's just cosmetic in the end ... don't get me wrong the KH series amps slay i really like the KH2....

anyway's it has been very well documented in the past that THE metallica live sound doesn't come from the amps on stage ... ( they're dummies or decoys) all their stuff is backstage and the cab's are actually enclosed in a coffin for consitant sound every show ... unless the've install mic eliminators on all there cab's LOL on stage ...

it's all good ...and it's great for RANDALL cause KIRK is gonna sell *** loads of amps for RANDALL ...

usually they're on onstage but with no guitar cable plugged into them. I always found that kinda funny :) But yeah, he's got 2 of the heads in his live rig. This was the only one he used at the basement show.

Wonder what stuff he plays through the KH-2 with those settings...looks like he's dialing a lot of Treble (for "cut"?)....one thing I like about the KH2/KH3 is they don't get too harsh when you do that...well, except when you scoop the mids too much :D

JKD said:
Wonder what stuff he plays through the KH-2 with those settings...looks like he's dialing a lot of Treble (for "cut"?)....one thing I like about the KH2/KH3 is they don't get too harsh when you do that...well, except when you scoop the mids too much :D
You mean songs or guitars? This was at the "secret" show the other day before bonnaroo so it was the normal metallica songs and he used his regular MII guitars. I'm kinda anxious to hear the livemetallica recording since that's all he used for the show.

MJ82 said:
JKD said:
You mean songs or guitars? This was at the "secret" show the other day before bonnaroo so it was the normal metallica songs and he used his regular MII guitars. I'm kinda anxious to hear the livemetallica recording since that's all he used for the show.

Yeah...was just wondering if he used those settings for certain songs or just generically everything...heck, with 4 heads on stage he could have 'era/album' settings split across 'em :D

JKD said:
MJ82 said:
JKD said:

Yeah...was just wondering if he used those settings for certain songs or just generically everything...heck, with 4 heads on stage he could have 'era/album' settings split across 'em :D

well i agree this amp is used for tuning room purposes, and yeah the basement gig will be interesting to hear that ...as for the LARGE gig's those 4 heads on stage aren't even turned on ...YOU TUBE the BONNOROO gig and watch for clips of kirk and his amps in the back ground ... there are no light's on those heads at all ???? unless of course he has some randall's backstage :D ... sometimes i hate being a gear head... anyway's KH rocks and so does the mighty METALLICA!!!

the density is cranked on that amp too, i know kirks amp has a bass boost in it as well :shock:

maximus1 said:
the density is cranked on that amp too, i know kirks amp has a bass boost in it as well :shock:

and bass heavy cabs (sig ones anyway)....

As always, yeah the onstage amps are basically endorsement props. Kirk does have 2 RM100KH heads in his live rig though. I didn't get a chance to check them out but that's what I was told :)

riff man said:
JKD said:
MJ82 said:
JKD said:

well i agree this amp is used for tuning room purposes, and yeah the basement gig will be interesting to hear that ...as for the LARGE gig's those 4 heads on stage aren't even turned on ...YOU TUBE the BONNOROO gig and watch for clips of kirk and his amps in the back ground ... there are no light's on those heads at all ???? unless of course he has some randall's backstage :D ... sometimes i hate being a gear head... anyway's KH rocks and so does the mighty METALLICA!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/kirkamps.html#metallica

On missionmetallica.com I saw that he was using it in a tuning room while warming up. Some people around the web still don't believe he really uses it.

MJ82 said:

On the recording of that show, the amp died at the end of For Whom The Bell Tolls...James says to him "want a Mesa Boogie?". I havent been impressed with his rhythm tones from the past few shows...but his lead tones have been good.

I just bought an RM100kh. Got it practically new for $699, no modules. I hope it's good.