RM4 owners...are you using the effects loop?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
I have a Rocktron Xpression on the way.

When it arrives, I can either put it in my RM4's effects loop...or run out of the RM4's Pre-Loop Out into the Xpression and from there direct to the power amp.

I believe Bruce Egnater stopped putting an effects loop in the Egnater M4 because he thought it sounded better without one...he preferred going direct from preamp to effects to power amp - no loop in the preamp.

Have you guys tried it both ways? What do you recommend?

Gary

I'm no help since I've only used the Xpression with an RM50B combo, but I will say that you made a great choice with the Xpression with respect to transparency. If you take the steps to make sure that you dry is completely analog, you'll likely not be able to tell if the Xpression is in the loop or not.

I know a buffered stereo fx loop is optional on the new M4.

Is the old fx-loop in the M4 buffered?

To my knowledge, the RM4/Orignal M4 are both tube buffered (one tube for each loop in the back, and the 3rd is your V1)

I recall Bruce saying he felt it was more "open" sounding coming straight out of the pre loop output to the amp. He's probably right, less crud in the way of the signal. He seemed to feel if you REALLY wanted it then use a mixer of some form (GCX, Switchblade, line mixer with auxes etc...) with the new M4. The fx loops being an option again is news to me.

That said I use the Parallel loop with my 2101. Just makes sure your fx are TRULY 100% WET or you will get some yucky phase stuff. PHysically UNPLUG your Fx loop to check back and forth if there is a phase issue. Sometimes it's subtle, but once you know what to listen for it's obvious.