I have a KH-3, is there any reason I should get a KH-2???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel City Psycho

Reaction score
I like the KH-3, it is the module I am currently using for leads. And rolling the gain back quite a bit it has now replaced my "Brown" module for classic rock.

I was thinking about getting a KH-2 but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Here is the description from the Randall site for the KH-3:

"Based on Kirk's legendary high gain rhythm tone, this preamp takes the KH2 to a higher level of gain and sustain. Utilizing the same tone circuit as the KH2, the KH3 is tailored more for the modern rock and metal guitarist who demands a high level of gain."

So that to me means rolling back the gain will give me the KH-2...

Yes, No, Maybe?

If the KH-3 can cover the KH-2 I'd much rather get something that is similar but different to the KH-2 like a Brahma or Mr. Scary or something.

I think yeah, rolling back on the kh3 will pretty much get you the same thing. now the thing is I would go for it IF you find yourself wanting both that higher gained out stuff AND the lower-ish gain sound at the same time. That way you don't have to go and readjust settings.

MJ82 said:
I think yeah, rolling back on the kh3 will pretty much get you the same thing. now the thing is I would go for it IF you find yourself wanting both that higher gained out stuff AND the lower-ish gain sound at the same time. That way you don't have to go and readjust settings.

Thanks man,

I don't gig so I am fine with turning knobs and I'm looking for different tones. That will be one of those "eventually" modules then.

I'll probably go for one of the Lynch modules next then.

Speaking as someone who currently owns both and prefers the KH-3 ... I'd say no but please bear in mind:

THe KH-3 has an extra gain stage and there are couple of component differences.

They feel different to play and the KH-2 is looser sounding than the KH-3

I had a KH3 and HAVE a KH2.

There is a definite difference in the tone/feel of these modules. My preference is the KH2. It has more of an old school thrashy vibe to it, but with some added EQ can get very modern. I ended up tweakign every time I used the 3....

The beauty of the modular stuff is all the nuances you can find to get what YOU are looking for. :wink:

mctallica1 said:

There is a definite difference in the tone/feel of these modules. My preference is the KH2. It has more of an old school thrashy vibe to it, but with some added EQ can get very modern. I ended up tweakign every time I used the 3....

The beauty of the modular stuff is all the nuances you can find to get what YOU are looking for. :wink:

Hey Tony...do me a favor and post your KH2 settings....have been playing with mine and I ended up with a serious mid scoop...which I almost never do..but then I push it with the SD-1 :twisted:

100_0261.jpg

I'm shooting for AJFA type sounds but a quick twist of the Bass/Mids puts RTL / MoP in reach...the SD-1 gives the razor sharp attack, bass cut and mid hump/signal boost works well against the module settings.

Still; playing with balancing the bass/gain...but this is working so well right now...am sure it sounds like **** in a band context but hey, who cares? :D

JKD said:
mctallica1 said:

Hey Tony...do me a favor and post your KH2 settings....have been playing with mine and I ended up with a serious mid scoop...which I almost never do..but then I push it with the SD-1 :twisted:

100_0261.jpg

I'm shooting for AJFA type sounds but a quick twist of the Bass/Mids puts RTL / MoP in reach...the SD-1 gives the razor sharp attack, bass cut and mid hump/signal boost works well against the module settings.

Still; playing with balancing the bass/gain...but this is working so well right now...am sure it sounds like s*&t in a band context but hey, who cares? :D

I don't have my digicam right now, but my settings are approximately:

Gain 12:30
Bass 11:45
Mids 11:45 to 12:15 depending on the guitar
Treble 2:45 or so...sometimes 3:00

Module Volume around 11:00

I am boosting with the modded 808 inside the Axe Fx (basically a keely modded 808) gain arouns 9 oclock, tone around 9:30, level max

Then in the loop, I have a 10 band EQ (also inside the Axe Fx) cutting the 500 a tad (enough to take away the mid hump...not much) and cutting the 125 just a hair (this is where the flub lives on the low end of any EQ :wink: )

I also have a patch set up with an additional graphic EQ before the boost rolling off the 2 lowest sliders a bit to tighten the bass even more when I want serious attack.

You can do everything I am doing with a boost pedal and an EQ in the loop...a second EQ if you want to do the last part of course.

I use a pretty similar chain on all my high gain modules and really dig the tone...plenty of mids for a band situation, but still sounds great at home volume.

Couple more things to consider: I have all RFT ecc83 preamp tubes in my RM50, a RFT in v1 of the module and a Chinese dragon 9th gen in v2 (highly reccomend these tubes and they are cheap). I am also running through a Diezel 412R with v30's...very big bass in this cab, but quite tight...not like a Recto oversize cab at all. so there is some bass being added at the cab.

mctallica1 said:
JKD said:
mctallica1 said:

100_0261.jpg

Still; playing with balancing the bass/gain...but this is working so well right now...am sure it sounds like s*&t in a band context but hey, who cares? :D

I don't have my digicam right now, but my settings are approximately:

Gain 12:30
Bass 11:45
Mids 11:45 to 12:15 depending on the guitar
Treble 2:45 or so...sometimes 3:00

Module Volume around 11:00

Looks almost exactly like my KH-3 settings...heh :D

yeah me too, well at least thats where i start at everytime and before you know its getting tweaked. kh-3 is definetly a new tone to my ears , very good but different and especially dry with a long plate tube in it :twisted:

kh-2 is way better for classic rock - much warmer and ballsier. i have all three kh's and the kh-2 has more personality than the 3 because the 3 sounds close to a lot of other high gain moderns while the 2 is warmer and thicker and when you roll the gain back isn't thin like the kh-3 gets

I think yeah, rolling back on the kh3 will pretty much get you the same thing.

Just got the KH2 in and I didn't expect as much of a difference-wow! The KH2 is a whole other animal. It's not just a matter of tweaking the eq and cutiing back gain on the KH3 to mimic the KH2- I find they're nothing alike!

They pretty much deliver what is advertised- the KH2 has that late 80s MOP mid scooped crunch that is in your face; the KH3 delivers mid frequencies that are almost Brown, but it is coupled with lots of gain and sizzle- much more pleasing sounding because of the mids, yet more gain.

I almost didn't get the KH2 because I thought it might be redundant after reading lots of posts, but I think they're drastically different! Both cool in their own ways...

crankyrayhanky said:
I think yeah, rolling back on the kh3 will pretty much get you the same thing.

Just got the KH2 in and I didn't expect as much of a difference-wow! The KH2 is a whole other animal. It's not just a matter of tweaking the eq and cutiing back gain on the KH3 to mimic the KH2- I find they're nothing alike!

They pretty much deliver what is advertised- the KH2 has that late 80s MOP mid scooped crunch that is in your face; the KH3 delivers mid frequencies that are almost Brown, but it is coupled with lots of gain and sizzle- much more pleasing sounding because of the mids, yet more gain.

I almost didn't get the KH2 because I thought it might be redundant after reading lots of posts, but I think they're drastically different! Both cool in their own ways...

I agree with you and muzapster,

I was going to try some of the Lynch modules, but keep getting backorder notices so I bought a KH-2.

They are different enough to warrant having both.