I played the KH modules again. I need some help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorgMetal666

Reaction score
Okay so I finally played the KH head with all of the modules at a store. I have the KH head now, but without any modules, so I wanted to make sure I liked the KH mods. I am satisfied with KH-1 and KH-3, like I expected, but the KH-2 didn't seem like what I thought. It seemed too bassy and not as crunchy as I hoped for (Kill 'em All through Master of Puppets tone). I am pretty bad at equalizing so I was hoping someone could give me some decent setting if I try it again so I know the true potential of this mod (I wouldn't mind eq's for the other two mods as well :) ). I am planning on getting an mxr 10 band eq to further shape my tone anyway.

If I decide against the KH-2 my next choice is a mod that can get the classic crunch of early Metallica as well as other thrash bands like Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament. I think a marshall module might work there, but any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks guys,
Michael

I can dial a nice old Metallica/Megadeth tone with the UltraXL.

For Slayer its a bit tricky. Jeff and Kerry's amps are paned to the left and right and both have a different tone. Its the contrast in tone and the extreme panning mix that give Slayer their sound. The good news is it can be done by one person.

I use two amps A/Bed together in to a stereo cab to get both Jeff's tone and Kerry's. I think the SL+ ( A/Bed with a Randall Cyclone ) sounds best but you got to level the volumes just right. Once done its a brutal tone.

might be a good idea to get a different flavor of a module anyway, since you have 2 of the kirk series

I have the kh2, and overall I really like it, though I agree, it is a bit muddy in the low end, so I will be implementing an EQ to notch out a little of that mud, and I think it will really help

where this module really sounds great is a louder volumes, it starts to come alive quite nicely

audioholic said:
might be a good idea to get a different flavor of a module anyway, since you have 2 of the kirk series

I have the kh2, and overall I really like it, though I agree, it is a bit muddy in the low end, so I will be implementing an EQ to notch out a little of that mud, and I think it will really help

where this module really sounds great is a louder volumes, it starts to come alive quite nicely

I actually don't have two modules yet, I just played them and I'm pretty sure I want the KH-1, 3.

Do emg's help with the tone of these modules? My ltd has 81/60. My rr1 has dimarzio d activators, and my js30 has duncan jb and jazz. I think if I get plenty of time to try more mods I'll find what I'm looking for.

Settings anyone?

MorgMetal666 said:
Do emg's help with the tone of these modules? My ltd has 81/60. My rr1 has dimarzio d activators, and my js30 has duncan jb and jazz. I think if I get plenty of time to try more mods I'll find what I'm looking for.

Settings anyone?

YES!!!!! You need EMG's IMHO to get the best metal tone.

Might be worth mod'ing c3 in KH-2 ... it's definately bassier/looser...glad you confirmed it for yourself again...it's pretty obvious when you A/B the two.

I don't have a problem with my ESP EMG81s and the KH2 but if I switch to something like the LP...too much bass...usually I'll dial back a bit on the Bass and Gain then use the SD-1 to 'fix' that :D

Latest posts