KH 2/3 inspired from...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
?Kirk told us he loved that
old Van Halen tone,? Reynolds
explains, ?but he wanted something
cleaner and with more
pick attack so you could hear
individual notes more. We had
an existing module that makes
the most of mid-to-high-gain

sounds. We used the same circuit
board layout. Then we just put in
different capacitors, resistors and
pot[entiometer] values to get the
exact sound Kirk was looking for"

Can I assume we're talking about the discontinued Brown module?
I'm a big Brown fan and use this module for some of my main tones, even more aggressive sounds that aren't necessarily EVH. If my logic is correct, I should love the KH2 & 3 since it's based off of Brown with Kirk tweaks?

i don't really hear a marshall in my kh-3, more like a bad attempt at a vht and real close to a 5150 II, imo

maximus1 said:
i don't really hear a marshall in my kh-3, more like a bad attempt at a vht and real close to a 5150 II, imo

I don't hear anything remotely close to a shifty one shifty II..and I've owned a few of those.. :lol:

I hear alot of modded marshally tones myself.......I didn't know it was modded from an existing module.......I thought it was inspired by his MOP tone.......so that would make it a Mesa Mark III?

But if you read into what they're saying about EVH then you have to assume Brown, Plexi,or SL........therefore Marshall.......which is what I'm hearing BIG time with the KH-3... :idea:

crankyrayhanky said:
?Kirk told us he loved that
old Van Halen tone,? Reynolds
explains, ?but he wanted something
cleaner and with more
pick attack so you could hear
individual notes more. We had
an existing module that makes
the most of mid-to-high-gain

sounds. We used the same circuit
board layout. Then we just put in
different capacitors, resistors and
pot[entiometer] values to get the
exact sound Kirk was looking for"

Can I assume we're talking about the discontinued Brown module?
I'm a big Brown fan and use this module for some of my main tones, even more aggressive sounds that aren't necessarily EVH. If my logic is correct, I should love the KH2 & 3 since it's based off of Brown with Kirk tweaks?

Where did you find that?

shred-o-holic said:
maximus1 said:

But if you read into what they're saying about EVH then you have to assume Brown, Plexi,or SL........therefore Marshall.......which is what I'm hearing BIG time with the KH-3... :idea:

Spot on IMO...I love how the KH-3 is so 'dry' though...I think that's what gets it compared to the VHT.

JKD said:
shred-o-holic said:
maximus1 said:

Spot on IMO...I love how the KH-3 is so 'dry' though...I think that's what gets it compared to the VHT.

I'm boosting mine.........helps alot with the dryness issue........I can't remember though if my Egnater SL++ was dry.......I think not..oh and having owned a Deliverance 120.......this module/amp pale to the (yuck) dryness of VHT..

Pretty sure I read somewhere that it is based on a Plexi module board. Possibly in that GW article posted on this forum. Will go check now...

the KH2 is specifically based off the PLEXI module.the KH3 is based off the SL+ module.i was at the Randall factory,in Mundelein,Il. last december,when they had a "tour" available.we got to try out the KH modules,just before they were officially released.the prototype modules,that we played,had the PLEXI and SL+ stampings on the circuit board.

goldwing68nv said:
the KH2 is specifically based off the PLEXI module.the KH3 is based off the SL+ module.i was at the Randall factory,in Mundelein,Il. last december,when they had a "tour" available.we got to try out the KH modules,just before they were officially released.the prototype modules,that we played,had the PLEXI and SL+ stampings on the circuit board.

this is sometihng I'd be very interested in trying.

goldwing68nv said:

Oh thanks for that.........I knew I wasn't imagining it.......so I really have no need to track down an SL+ then it sounds...

really all of the aforementioned amps are derived from marshall circuits.

the KH2 :twisted: was developed from a brown module (of which was derived from a plexi module) and the KH3 was derived from the KH2. in order to get it where Kirk wanted it we ended up using the SL+ board. it's hardly an SL+ though...again more of a KH2 with MORE. the best way to describe the KH2 vs. KH3 is to consider the KH2 like an Ultra and the KH3 like an Ultra XL.

I winded up getting all of them: Brown, Plexi, SL+, KH2, KH3- I find them to be surprisingly different even though they are based on a shared platform

I personally love the KH2, reminds me of my beloved 80s angry metal

RD/Steve said:
really all of the aforementioned amps are derived from marshall circuits.

the KH2 :twisted: was developed from a brown module (of which was derived from a plexi module) and the KH3 was derived from the KH2. in order to get it where Kirk wanted it we ended up using the SL+ board. it's hardly an SL+ though...again more of a KH2 with MORE. the best way to describe the KH2 vs. KH3 is to consider the KH2 like an Ultra and the KH3 like an Ultra XL.

Now I'm really cofused... :lol: I haven't played an Ultra XL.........I had an Ultra a long time ago.......since I'm back in the MTS game after a 2 year hiatus.......is there a module that sounds similar to a KH-3 and is less stiff/dry in feel?